Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyers for alleged B.C. hijacker get more time to prepare bail application

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Aug, 2025 11:07 AM
  • Lawyers for alleged B.C. hijacker get more time to prepare bail application

The man accused of hijacking a plane and triggering a security scare at Vancouver International Airport last month appeared briefly at a provincial court in Richmond, B.C., where his lawyers were granted an adjournment.

Shaheer Cassim attended the court virtually from Surrey Pretrial Centre wearing an orange sweatsuit.

He acknowledged he could see and hear the judge, and sat with his hands on his knees throughout the short video appearance, which lasted less than five minutes.

An articling student representing Cassim's defence lawyer, Kevin Westell, asked the court for a two-week adjournment as they continue to prepare a bail application.

The agent confirmed Cassim had agreed to remain in custody until his next appearance, which the judge scheduled for Sept. 2.

Cassim is a former commercial pilot who faces charges for allegedly taking a small aircraft from Victoria's airport on July 15 and flying it over the Vancouver airport before he was arrested upon landing.

The 39-year-old has been in custody at the pretrial facility in Surrey since his arrest and his court files have been placed under publication bans. 

He's been charged with hijacking, which is an offence constituting terrorism, and with damaging or interfering with a navigation system.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau directs key adviser to deliver renewed national security strategy

Trudeau directs key adviser to deliver renewed national security strategy
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has directed a top adviser to deliver a renewed national security strategy setting out a framework for Canada’s security, defence and diplomatic posture. In a mandate letter to national security and intelligence adviser Nathalie Drouin, Trudeau says he expects her to consult Canadians and work through the national security council to develop the strategy.

Trudeau directs key adviser to deliver renewed national security strategy

Drug smuggling intercepted by CBSA

Drug smuggling intercepted by CBSA
The Canada Border Services Agency says officers intercepted 210 bricks of cocaine being smuggled into B-C in three separate incidents. It says the seizures amounted to a combined weight of 246 kilograms worth of drugs that have an estimated street value of more than 6.6 million dollars.

Drug smuggling intercepted by CBSA

Long-awaited carbon rebate for businesses being sent earlier than promised

Long-awaited carbon rebate for businesses being sent earlier than promised
About 600,000 small businesses will start receiving their long-awaited federal carbon rebates today. The federal government has promised to return about $2.5 billion collected from small and medium-sized businesses in carbon pricing since 2019.

Long-awaited carbon rebate for businesses being sent earlier than promised

Passerby stabbed during shoplifting at Vancouver liquor store

Passerby stabbed during shoplifting at Vancouver liquor store
A passerby has been seriously injured after he was stabbed by a shoplifter who was trying to flee a liquor store in Vancouver's Olympic Village neighbourhood. Vancouver police say the attack happened on Saturday at around 10:30 p.m., when a security guard was trying to stop a shoplifter from leaving the liquor store.

Passerby stabbed during shoplifting at Vancouver liquor store

B.C. health minister vows overdose revamp after addictions portfolio is scrapped

B.C. health minister vows overdose revamp after addictions portfolio is scrapped
British Columbia's new health minister says she's aiming for more treatment beds and fewer deaths in a revamped approach to the province's drug overdose crisis. It comes after David Eby's newly elected government eliminated the stand-alone Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions, which advocates say had no "teeth."

B.C. health minister vows overdose revamp after addictions portfolio is scrapped

Canada Post down eight million parcels amid strike as talk carry on over weekend

Canada Post down eight million parcels amid strike as talk carry on over weekend
Canada Post says it has seen a shortage of more than eight million parcels amid the ongoing strike that has effectively shut down the postal system for nine days compared with the same period of 2023. The Crown corporation said Saturday that customers have been forced to turn to competitors for their deliveries amid a work stoppage that began Nov. 15 when more than 55,000 workers across the country walked off the job.

Canada Post down eight million parcels amid strike as talk carry on over weekend