Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberals Target Scheer Over Cash-For-Access Fundraisers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Jan, 2019 09:15 PM

    OTTAWA — The federal Liberal party is looking to turn the tables on the Conservatives over so-called cash-for-access fundraisers.


    Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is expected to attend a fundraiser at the Toronto home of Sen. Linda Frum, which has been rescheduled from Tuesday to next week because of the weather.


    The Conservatives roasted Trudeau in 2016 over fundraisers where the prime minister and his cabinet attended exclusive parties in private homes, where people paid up to $1,550 — the maximum the law allows in annual donations to one party — to rub shoulders with ministers.


    In response, the Liberals started allowing the media to be present at their party events and releasing lists of attendees afterward.


    In a statement Tuesday morning, Small Business Minister Mary Ng accused Scheer of doing the same thing his party once abhorred.


    Ng said Scheer should allow journalists to attend the event at Frum's home or face questions about "who is lobbying him or what promises he's making in secret."


    Cory Hann, a Conservative party spokesman, said the meet-and-greet is in line with Elections Canada rules. The guest list includes donors and non-donors, he said, and the event itself is free.


    He said the party will accommodate media coverage of fundraisers when possible, "and if the size, location, or any other variables allow for it, we will always open the event for Mr. Scheer's remarks."


    New rules that came into effect Jan. 1 require parties to disclose fundraising events to Elections Canada, which then publicly posts the details of where and when they're held, followed later by a report on how much the party raked in. The rules apply to events attended by ministers, party leaders or leadership candidates.


    The event at Frum's is the first fundraising event the Conservative are reporting under the new regime.


    The Liberals have reported six events, including one scheduled for Friday at Toronto's Fairmont Royal York hotel.


    Last week, the Conservatives reported that preliminary fundraising figures show they raised $24 million in 2018 from more than 49,000 donors.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Moves To Bring Back Human Rights Commission 16 Years After It Was Tossed

    B.C. Moves To Bring Back Human Rights Commission 16 Years After It Was Tossed
    The former commission was dismantled in 2002, but Attorney General David Eby says given what's happening around the globe, it's never been more important for governments to do all they can to stand up for human rights.

    B.C. Moves To Bring Back Human Rights Commission 16 Years After It Was Tossed

    Novelist Steven Galloway Files Defamation Suit Over Sexual Assault Allegations

    Novelist Steven Galloway Files Defamation Suit Over Sexual Assault Allegations
    VANCOUVER — The former chair of the creative writing program at the University of British Columbia is suing a woman, claiming she falsely accused him of sexual and physical assaults.

    Novelist Steven Galloway Files Defamation Suit Over Sexual Assault Allegations

    Arrest Made After Terminally Ill Woman Kicked During Home Invasion

    Arrest Made After Terminally Ill Woman Kicked During Home Invasion
    SICAMOUS, B.C. — The Mounties say they've made an arrest after a terminally ill homeowner was held at gunpoint and kicked in the face during a home invasion in Sicamous, B.C.

    Arrest Made After Terminally Ill Woman Kicked During Home Invasion

    Alberta Premier Tells B.C. Steelworkers Jobs At Risk Without Trans Mountain

    Alberta Premier Tells B.C. Steelworkers Jobs At Risk Without Trans Mountain
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — Alberta Premier Rachel Notley says it's "just dumb" that the Canadian economy is losing millions of dollars a day because the province can't get its oil to world markets.

    Alberta Premier Tells B.C. Steelworkers Jobs At Risk Without Trans Mountain

    Canada Border Services Agency Asked To Speed Up Refugee Removals

    Canada Border Services Agency Asked To Speed Up Refugee Removals
    OTTAWA — The Canada Border Services Agency should speed up its removals of failed refugee claimants who are still in Canada, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says.

    Canada Border Services Agency Asked To Speed Up Refugee Removals

    Canada To Increase Annual Immigration Admissions To 350,000 By 2021

    Canada To Increase Annual Immigration Admissions To 350,000 By 2021
    The target for new arrivals in Canada will rise to 350,000, which is nearly one per cent of the country's population.

    Canada To Increase Annual Immigration Admissions To 350,000 By 2021