Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberals Target Scheer Over Cash-For-Access Fundraisers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Jan, 2019 09:15 PM

    OTTAWA — The federal Liberal party is looking to turn the tables on the Conservatives over so-called cash-for-access fundraisers.


    Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is expected to attend a fundraiser at the Toronto home of Sen. Linda Frum, which has been rescheduled from Tuesday to next week because of the weather.


    The Conservatives roasted Trudeau in 2016 over fundraisers where the prime minister and his cabinet attended exclusive parties in private homes, where people paid up to $1,550 — the maximum the law allows in annual donations to one party — to rub shoulders with ministers.


    In response, the Liberals started allowing the media to be present at their party events and releasing lists of attendees afterward.


    In a statement Tuesday morning, Small Business Minister Mary Ng accused Scheer of doing the same thing his party once abhorred.


    Ng said Scheer should allow journalists to attend the event at Frum's home or face questions about "who is lobbying him or what promises he's making in secret."


    Cory Hann, a Conservative party spokesman, said the meet-and-greet is in line with Elections Canada rules. The guest list includes donors and non-donors, he said, and the event itself is free.


    He said the party will accommodate media coverage of fundraisers when possible, "and if the size, location, or any other variables allow for it, we will always open the event for Mr. Scheer's remarks."


    New rules that came into effect Jan. 1 require parties to disclose fundraising events to Elections Canada, which then publicly posts the details of where and when they're held, followed later by a report on how much the party raked in. The rules apply to events attended by ministers, party leaders or leadership candidates.


    The event at Frum's is the first fundraising event the Conservative are reporting under the new regime.


    The Liberals have reported six events, including one scheduled for Friday at Toronto's Fairmont Royal York hotel.


    Last week, the Conservatives reported that preliminary fundraising figures show they raised $24 million in 2018 from more than 49,000 donors.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    South Asian Community Leaders Launch NO Campaign on Proportional Representation Referendum

    Dr. Gulzar Cheema, a former MLA in Manitoba and British Columbia and a practicing family doctor and Puneet Sandhar, a lawyer and a community advocate will be leading the South Asian campaign for the No BC Proportional Representation Society.

    South Asian Community Leaders Launch NO Campaign on Proportional Representation Referendum

    Seva Thrift Store Donates $20,000 To The Surrey Hospital And Outpatient Care Foundation

    SEVA Thrift Store makes an impact donating $20,000 to the Surrey Hospital and Outpatient Care Foundation during their 2nd Anniversary Celebration on September 23, 2018. Proceeds support the Children's Campaign for medical equipment and services at the hospital.

    Seva Thrift Store Donates $20,000 To The Surrey Hospital And Outpatient Care Foundation

    Perminder Chohan Foundation Endows A $20,000 Fund At Kwantlen Polytechnic University

      B.C. businessman Perminder Chohan’s philanthropic foundation has created a $20,000 endowment to support the Kwantlen Polytechnic University Foundation and help students in financial need.

    Perminder Chohan Foundation Endows A $20,000 Fund At Kwantlen Polytechnic University

    Preston GM Langley FC 2018-2019 Fundraiser

    This community partnership is meant to support local Youth Soccer from Mini Players (U4) to BCSPL Players which is the highest level of soccer for youths in BC. 

    Preston GM Langley FC 2018-2019 Fundraiser

    Keep It Spooky, Keep It Safe, Say Vancouver Police As Halloween Approaches

    The Vancouver Police Department and its partners, Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services, BC Ambulance Service, and the Canadian National Fireworks Association, are asking the public to keep safety top of mind this Halloween by following some simple safety tips:

    Keep It Spooky, Keep It Safe, Say Vancouver Police As Halloween Approaches

    NEB Orders Tighter Safety Measures At B.C. Site Of Natural Gas Pipeline Blast

    NEB Orders Tighter Safety Measures At B.C. Site Of Natural Gas Pipeline Blast
      VICTORIA — The National Energy Board has issued new safety orders for a pipeline explosion site in north-central British Columbia to strictly monitor natural gas flows to protect people and the environment.

    NEB Orders Tighter Safety Measures At B.C. Site Of Natural Gas Pipeline Blast