Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberals Target Scheer Over Cash-For-Access Fundraisers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Jan, 2019 09:15 PM

    OTTAWA — The federal Liberal party is looking to turn the tables on the Conservatives over so-called cash-for-access fundraisers.


    Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is expected to attend a fundraiser at the Toronto home of Sen. Linda Frum, which has been rescheduled from Tuesday to next week because of the weather.


    The Conservatives roasted Trudeau in 2016 over fundraisers where the prime minister and his cabinet attended exclusive parties in private homes, where people paid up to $1,550 — the maximum the law allows in annual donations to one party — to rub shoulders with ministers.


    In response, the Liberals started allowing the media to be present at their party events and releasing lists of attendees afterward.


    In a statement Tuesday morning, Small Business Minister Mary Ng accused Scheer of doing the same thing his party once abhorred.


    Ng said Scheer should allow journalists to attend the event at Frum's home or face questions about "who is lobbying him or what promises he's making in secret."


    Cory Hann, a Conservative party spokesman, said the meet-and-greet is in line with Elections Canada rules. The guest list includes donors and non-donors, he said, and the event itself is free.


    He said the party will accommodate media coverage of fundraisers when possible, "and if the size, location, or any other variables allow for it, we will always open the event for Mr. Scheer's remarks."


    New rules that came into effect Jan. 1 require parties to disclose fundraising events to Elections Canada, which then publicly posts the details of where and when they're held, followed later by a report on how much the party raked in. The rules apply to events attended by ministers, party leaders or leadership candidates.


    The event at Frum's is the first fundraising event the Conservative are reporting under the new regime.


    The Liberals have reported six events, including one scheduled for Friday at Toronto's Fairmont Royal York hotel.


    Last week, the Conservatives reported that preliminary fundraising figures show they raised $24 million in 2018 from more than 49,000 donors.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    New Democrat MP Sheila Malcolmson Seeks Nod In Nanaimo, B.C., Byelection

    NANAIMO, B.C. — Federal New Democrat MP Sheila Malcolmson says she's been pondering her jump to provincial politics in British Columbia since the summer when she was approached by officials in Premier John Horgan's office.

    New Democrat MP Sheila Malcolmson Seeks Nod In Nanaimo, B.C., Byelection

    Delta Police Search For Suspect Who Threatened A Man With A Gun At Social Gathering

    Just after 5:30 pm on October 22 police were called about a man who had threatened another man with a gun at a social gathering in the Delta Rise apartment building, on 80th Ave in North Delta.

    Delta Police Search For Suspect Who Threatened A Man With A Gun At Social Gathering

    44-Yr-Old Surrey Pedestrian Pedestrian Dies After Being Struck In Delta

    The driver of a Dodge Ram that hit a pedestrian stayed on the scene and is fully cooperating with police after a fatal crash Oct. 23, 2018.

    44-Yr-Old Surrey Pedestrian Pedestrian Dies After Being Struck In Delta

    Trudeau Calls U.S. Mail Bombs 'Disturbing', Monitoring Situation Closely

    Trudeau Calls U.S. Mail Bombs 'Disturbing', Monitoring Situation Closely
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is closely monitoring the "deeply concerning" reports on the discovery of multiple mail bombs in the U.S.

    Trudeau Calls U.S. Mail Bombs 'Disturbing', Monitoring Situation Closely

    Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

    Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."

    Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

    More Charges Against U.S. Man Accused Of Kidnapping Alberta Model

    A South Carolina man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting an Alberta woman who was lured to the United States with the promise of a modelling job is facing new charges.

    More Charges Against U.S. Man Accused Of Kidnapping Alberta Model