Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberals Target Scheer Over Cash-For-Access Fundraisers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Jan, 2019 09:15 PM

    OTTAWA — The federal Liberal party is looking to turn the tables on the Conservatives over so-called cash-for-access fundraisers.


    Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is expected to attend a fundraiser at the Toronto home of Sen. Linda Frum, which has been rescheduled from Tuesday to next week because of the weather.


    The Conservatives roasted Trudeau in 2016 over fundraisers where the prime minister and his cabinet attended exclusive parties in private homes, where people paid up to $1,550 — the maximum the law allows in annual donations to one party — to rub shoulders with ministers.


    In response, the Liberals started allowing the media to be present at their party events and releasing lists of attendees afterward.


    In a statement Tuesday morning, Small Business Minister Mary Ng accused Scheer of doing the same thing his party once abhorred.


    Ng said Scheer should allow journalists to attend the event at Frum's home or face questions about "who is lobbying him or what promises he's making in secret."


    Cory Hann, a Conservative party spokesman, said the meet-and-greet is in line with Elections Canada rules. The guest list includes donors and non-donors, he said, and the event itself is free.


    He said the party will accommodate media coverage of fundraisers when possible, "and if the size, location, or any other variables allow for it, we will always open the event for Mr. Scheer's remarks."


    New rules that came into effect Jan. 1 require parties to disclose fundraising events to Elections Canada, which then publicly posts the details of where and when they're held, followed later by a report on how much the party raked in. The rules apply to events attended by ministers, party leaders or leadership candidates.


    The event at Frum's is the first fundraising event the Conservative are reporting under the new regime.


    The Liberals have reported six events, including one scheduled for Friday at Toronto's Fairmont Royal York hotel.


    Last week, the Conservatives reported that preliminary fundraising figures show they raised $24 million in 2018 from more than 49,000 donors.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Quebec To Prohibit Government Employees From Wearing Muslim Chador, Niqab And Burka

    Quebec To Prohibit Government Employees From Wearing Muslim Chador, Niqab And Burka
    Quebec's new Coalition Avenir Quebec government says it will go a step further in restricting religious symbols, prohibiting all public servants from wearing the chador, niqab or burka.

    Quebec To Prohibit Government Employees From Wearing Muslim Chador, Niqab And Burka

    Supreme Court Won't Hear Appeal Of Quebec Legislature's Kirpan Ban

    OTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada has refused to hear the appeal of a Sikh man and woman who were prohibited from entering Quebec's legislature while wearing kirpans.

    Supreme Court Won't Hear Appeal Of Quebec Legislature's Kirpan Ban

    Power Outage At Vancouver International Airport Affecting Domestic Terminal, Some Flight Delays

    Power Outage At Vancouver International Airport Affecting Domestic Terminal, Some Flight Delays
    A power outage at Vancouver International Airport's domestic terminal forced a handful of flight cancellations and several delays Thursday morning.

    Power Outage At Vancouver International Airport Affecting Domestic Terminal, Some Flight Delays

    Meet The Surrey Mayor-Elect Doug Mccallum And His South Asian Team Members

    Former city mayor Doug McCallum made a stunning comeback in Surrey Saturday night and created arguably the biggest stir of election night in B.C.

    Meet The Surrey Mayor-Elect Doug Mccallum And His South Asian Team Members

    TELUS Is Giving An Unprecedented $120 Million To Help Vulnerable Youth Reach Their Full Potential

    TELUS launches the TELUS Friendly Future Foundation, which provides grants to grassroots charities and gives kids a brighter future

    TELUS Is Giving An Unprecedented $120 Million To Help Vulnerable Youth Reach Their Full Potential

    Natural Gas In B.C. Limited Through The Winter After Pipeline Blast: FortisBC

    Natural Gas In B.C. Limited Through The Winter After Pipeline Blast: FortisBC
    SURREY, B.C. — A British Columbia natural gas supplier is warning its one million customers to expect reduced supplies and "challenges in times of high demand" as winter looms.

    Natural Gas In B.C. Limited Through The Winter After Pipeline Blast: FortisBC