Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

LNG company's plan for floating work camp is rejected by Squamish, B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2024 02:04 PM
  • LNG company's plan for floating work camp is rejected by Squamish, B.C.

Plans to use a renovated cruise ship to house more than 600 workers as they build a liquefied natural gas facility near Squamish, B.C., have been voted down by the local council.

The ship arrived in B.C. waters in January after a 40-day journey from Estonia, where it had sheltered Ukrainian refugees, but Woodfibre LNG didn't obtain a permit from the district to operate the so-called "floatel."

Squamish councillors voted three to four against a one-year permit at a meeting on Tuesday that raised concerns about the safety of women and girls, traffic issues, waste management and potential natural hazards.

Woodfibre wanted workers to start living on the ship this spring on the shores of Howe Sound, outside Squamish.

The Woodfibre website shows the B.C. and federal governments have approved the project, which also has an environmental certificate from the Squamish Nation.

Several councillors with the district noted in Tuesday's meeting that the LNG project was not at issue, rather the decision was whether to allow the floating work camp to be used.

Tracey Saxby, the executive director of the advocacy group My Sea to Sky, issued a statement saying Woodfibre knowingly chose to take the risk of bringing the vessel to B.C. waters without approval from the district to anchor it at the site.

"Community members, who are on the front line of this LNG export project, raised concerns about human rights impacts for women and girls, worker safety and well-being, traffic safety, and waste disposal," she says in the statement.

There are "so many unknowns," she says, and the company's application is missing key information the community needs to make an informed decision.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man violently robbed in home invasion

Man violently robbed in home invasion
The two suspects forced entry into the victim’s suite near East Hastings and Gore on July 5. They violently beat him and stole his various possessions. The victim was taken to hospital for his injuries. VPD patrol officers and detectives from VPD’s Major Crime Section launched an investigation immediately.

Man violently robbed in home invasion

Attempted murder charges laid in Surrey shooting

Attempted murder charges laid in Surrey shooting
Surrey R-C-M-P say their suspect was picked up in Calgary last Friday and remains in custody in Surrey, awaiting his next court date on August 10th. Several weapons offences have also been laid after shots were fired at a vehicle in the Newton area, injuring the occupant, who survived.

Attempted murder charges laid in Surrey shooting

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers
The BC Maritime Employers Association says the offer being presented is the same one leaders of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union had previously rejected, which briefly sent workers back to the picket line last week. 

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday
Fisheries Minister Joyce Murray, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, Public Services and Procurement Minister Helena Jaczek and Mental Health and Addictions Minister Carolyn Bennett all announced this week that they will not seek re-election.

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday

United Way giving help to wildfire affected areas

United Way giving help to wildfire affected areas
The charity says it is well positioned to deliver services to communities devastated by the province's worst-ever wildfire season through its work with First Nations, governments and other charitable organizations. 

United Way giving help to wildfire affected areas

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned
Police in Nanaimo say a brazen theft of a 75-inch television from a Walmart in June was ill planned, with two suspects caught on video placing the large T-V on a car rooftop and holding it down with nothing but their hands. Nanaimo R-C-M-P say a man and a woman, both in their 40s, now face theft charges after they were filmed driving off with the stolen T-V on the evening of June 8th.

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned