Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

LNG company's plan for floating work camp is rejected by Squamish, B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2024 02:04 PM
  • LNG company's plan for floating work camp is rejected by Squamish, B.C.

Plans to use a renovated cruise ship to house more than 600 workers as they build a liquefied natural gas facility near Squamish, B.C., have been voted down by the local council.

The ship arrived in B.C. waters in January after a 40-day journey from Estonia, where it had sheltered Ukrainian refugees, but Woodfibre LNG didn't obtain a permit from the district to operate the so-called "floatel."

Squamish councillors voted three to four against a one-year permit at a meeting on Tuesday that raised concerns about the safety of women and girls, traffic issues, waste management and potential natural hazards.

Woodfibre wanted workers to start living on the ship this spring on the shores of Howe Sound, outside Squamish.

The Woodfibre website shows the B.C. and federal governments have approved the project, which also has an environmental certificate from the Squamish Nation.

Several councillors with the district noted in Tuesday's meeting that the LNG project was not at issue, rather the decision was whether to allow the floating work camp to be used.

Tracey Saxby, the executive director of the advocacy group My Sea to Sky, issued a statement saying Woodfibre knowingly chose to take the risk of bringing the vessel to B.C. waters without approval from the district to anchor it at the site.

"Community members, who are on the front line of this LNG export project, raised concerns about human rights impacts for women and girls, worker safety and well-being, traffic safety, and waste disposal," she says in the statement.

There are "so many unknowns," she says, and the company's application is missing key information the community needs to make an informed decision.

MORE National ARTICLES

Record wildfire season in B.C. for area burned with almost 400 fires in the province

Record wildfire season in B.C. for area burned with almost 400 fires in the province
The B.C. Wildfire Service website says 13,935 square kilometres have been burned since April 1, surpassing the previous record of 13,543 square kilometres set in 2018. But there are still months to go in this year's season and the service says there are almost 400 fires currently burning.

Record wildfire season in B.C. for area burned with almost 400 fires in the province

Municipal police chief casts doubt on effectiveness of B.C. drug decriminalization

Municipal police chief casts doubt on effectiveness of B.C. drug decriminalization
Delta Police Chief Constable Neil Dubord says in the letter that while he agrees with "the underlying principles of decriminalization," an early evaluation shows that the policy has not led to "the desired outcome." Dubord says there were 791 overdose deaths in the province between then and May, which "closely mirrors" the 772 deaths recorded during the same period last year.

Municipal police chief casts doubt on effectiveness of B.C. drug decriminalization

Inmate dies in police custody

Inmate dies in police custody
Correctional officials say an inmate has died while in the custody of a prison in Abbotsford, B-C. The Pacific Institution says in a statement that Douglas Gordon Martin died on July 14.

Inmate dies in police custody

Coquitlam RCMP need public's assistance locating missing man Syed Mustafa

Coquitlam RCMP need public's assistance locating missing man Syed Mustafa
Coquitlam RCMP is asking for the public’s assistance in locating a missing man, 36-year old Syed Mustafa. Syed was last seen early June camping near Twin Islands, Belcarra British Columbia. Syed’s family and Police are concerned for Syeds’s well-being.   

Coquitlam RCMP need public's assistance locating missing man Syed Mustafa

Man and woman charged after multiple random shootings in Edmonton: police

Man and woman charged after multiple random shootings in Edmonton: police
A 31-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman face charges after a series of shootings in Edmonton over the weekend that police say were random.  Edmonton police say Tariq Sayed Mohammed Aman and Neanna Wuttunee jointly face a total of 35 charges.

Man and woman charged after multiple random shootings in Edmonton: police

Mission homicide victim identified

Mission homicide victim identified
B-C's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says the victim is Jesse Kennedy, who lived in the city, and police are releasing his identity in an effort to help solve the case. Kennedy was found injured in the 325-hundred block of Lougheed Highway on July 13 just before 6 p-m, and died after being taken to hospital.  

Mission homicide victim identified