Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jan, 2022 05:38 PM
  • Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate is asking the province to designate one person as an essential visitor for every long-term care resident as the facilities move to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Isobel Mackenzie says in a news release that the need to limit visitors has left a majority of long-term care residents without visits from loved ones.

The province announced last week that visits to long-term care and assisted living facilities would be limited to essential visitors in response to the fast-spreading Omicron variant and would be re-evaluated Jan. 18.

Mackenzie says the process for determining if a resident meets the criteria to have a designated essential visitor is made by the administrator of the facility on a case-by-case basis.

She says essential visitors often give vital support care to seniors, especially as these places face staff absences of up to 30 per cent because of COVID-19.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry agreed during her weekly briefing on Tuesday that visitors in care homes are essential, saying that once rapid tests are deployed in each facility, they'll go back to allowing every resident to have a designated social visitor and an essential visitor.

The federal government said Wednesday that it would be distributing 140 million rapid tests to provinces and territories this month.

A recommendation made by the Office of the Seniors Advocate in November 2020 said all residents must be provided the opportunity to designate an essential visitor.

MacKenzie says her office has received calls from family members, including spouses, who say they can no longer visit, even though they are helping care for the senior.

"They help to feed their loved one, get them dressed, take them for walks, and keep them engaged," she says.

"For many residents, these visitors are the only people who can motivate them to engage in any activities, and yet they are not formally recognized as essential."

MORE National ARTICLES

801 COVID19 cases for Thursday

801 COVID19 cases for Thursday
84.6% (3,922,233) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 76.9% (3,565,148) received their second dose.    

801 COVID19 cases for Thursday

Woman assaulted at Pacific Centre Mall: VPD

Woman assaulted at Pacific Centre Mall: VPD
An employee working at the mall witnessed a man approach a woman from behind and grope her buttocks on August 27 around 5 p.m. The suspect then fled and mall security followed him while calling 911. Police were able to locate the suspect on a bus near Hastings and Abbott streets.    

Woman assaulted at Pacific Centre Mall: VPD

16 new, improved schools to start school year

16 new, improved schools to start school year
Right in time for the new school year, more than 8,600 students will be returning to safer and modernized classrooms at 16 new or improved schools throughout the province. The Government of B.C. has invested almost $353 million in these schools.

16 new, improved schools to start school year

Teenage boy arrested for assaulting 3 women in random attacks

Teenage boy arrested for assaulting 3 women in random attacks
On Wednesday, at around 4:00 p.m., Burnaby RCMP located and arrested a 15-year-old boy who police believe to have committed these attacks. He was taken into custody as he departed a SkyTrain station.    

Teenage boy arrested for assaulting 3 women in random attacks

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Robinder Sidhu

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Robinder Sidhu
Surrey RCMP is updating the public that the 40-year old man reported missing August 31, 2021, was located deceased. On September 5, 2021, the missing male was located deceased. Criminality does not appear to be a factor in his death and the investigation has been turned over to BC Coroners Service.

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Robinder Sidhu

B.C. wildfires, evacuation orders continue to drop

B.C. wildfires, evacuation orders continue to drop
Emergency Management BC says residents of another 3,900 properties that were on evacuation alert, meaning they should be ready to leave on short notice, decreased by about 2,150 on Wednesday night from the day before.

B.C. wildfires, evacuation orders continue to drop