Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jan, 2022 05:38 PM
  • Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate is asking the province to designate one person as an essential visitor for every long-term care resident as the facilities move to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Isobel Mackenzie says in a news release that the need to limit visitors has left a majority of long-term care residents without visits from loved ones.

The province announced last week that visits to long-term care and assisted living facilities would be limited to essential visitors in response to the fast-spreading Omicron variant and would be re-evaluated Jan. 18.

Mackenzie says the process for determining if a resident meets the criteria to have a designated essential visitor is made by the administrator of the facility on a case-by-case basis.

She says essential visitors often give vital support care to seniors, especially as these places face staff absences of up to 30 per cent because of COVID-19.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry agreed during her weekly briefing on Tuesday that visitors in care homes are essential, saying that once rapid tests are deployed in each facility, they'll go back to allowing every resident to have a designated social visitor and an essential visitor.

The federal government said Wednesday that it would be distributing 140 million rapid tests to provinces and territories this month.

A recommendation made by the Office of the Seniors Advocate in November 2020 said all residents must be provided the opportunity to designate an essential visitor.

MacKenzie says her office has received calls from family members, including spouses, who say they can no longer visit, even though they are helping care for the senior.

"They help to feed their loved one, get them dressed, take them for walks, and keep them engaged," she says.

"For many residents, these visitors are the only people who can motivate them to engage in any activities, and yet they are not formally recognized as essential."

MORE National ARTICLES

655 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

655 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix said that there are 6,045 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. Of the active cases, 187 individuals are currently hospitalized, 103 of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

655 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

Overdose deaths in B.C. top 1,000 in six months

Overdose deaths in B.C. top 1,000 in six months
The coroner says in a statement the powerful opioid fentanyl was involved in 85 per cent of deaths. Lapointe says the data released today highlights the immensity of the public health emergency.

Overdose deaths in B.C. top 1,000 in six months

B.C. wildfires drop to 225 as weather cools

B.C. wildfires drop to 225 as weather cools
Emergency Management BC says there were 21 evacuation orders covering 3,754 properties as of Monday evening, a drop from 3,927 properties the day before.    

B.C. wildfires drop to 225 as weather cools

Hundreds with links to Canada still in Afghanistan

Hundreds with links to Canada still in Afghanistan
Canada and other allies are pushing the Taliban to allow anyone with valid travel documents to leave Afghanistan, Garneau said, with hopes the Kabul airport will soon reopen under civilian control.

Hundreds with links to Canada still in Afghanistan

Economy recovering but some sectors weak: Trudeau

Economy recovering but some sectors weak: Trudeau
Statistics Canada is reporting that the economy contracted at an annualized rate of 1.1 per cent between April and June, and estimates another drop in real gross domestic product in July.

Economy recovering but some sectors weak: Trudeau

New COVID-19 modelling numbers coming in B.C.

New COVID-19 modelling numbers coming in B.C.
On Monday, the province reported seven more deaths and 1,853 new cases of COVID-19 diagnosed over a three-day period from Friday to Monday. From Friday to Saturday, there were 769 cases, but the number dropped to 503 on Sunday to Monday.

New COVID-19 modelling numbers coming in B.C.