Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jan, 2022 05:38 PM
  • Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate is asking the province to designate one person as an essential visitor for every long-term care resident as the facilities move to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Isobel Mackenzie says in a news release that the need to limit visitors has left a majority of long-term care residents without visits from loved ones.

The province announced last week that visits to long-term care and assisted living facilities would be limited to essential visitors in response to the fast-spreading Omicron variant and would be re-evaluated Jan. 18.

Mackenzie says the process for determining if a resident meets the criteria to have a designated essential visitor is made by the administrator of the facility on a case-by-case basis.

She says essential visitors often give vital support care to seniors, especially as these places face staff absences of up to 30 per cent because of COVID-19.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry agreed during her weekly briefing on Tuesday that visitors in care homes are essential, saying that once rapid tests are deployed in each facility, they'll go back to allowing every resident to have a designated social visitor and an essential visitor.

The federal government said Wednesday that it would be distributing 140 million rapid tests to provinces and territories this month.

A recommendation made by the Office of the Seniors Advocate in November 2020 said all residents must be provided the opportunity to designate an essential visitor.

MacKenzie says her office has received calls from family members, including spouses, who say they can no longer visit, even though they are helping care for the senior.

"They help to feed their loved one, get them dressed, take them for walks, and keep them engaged," she says.

"For many residents, these visitors are the only people who can motivate them to engage in any activities, and yet they are not formally recognized as essential."

MORE National ARTICLES

Port Moody Police struggle to break up a crowd of 150 intoxicated youth

Port Moody Police struggle to break up a crowd of 150 intoxicated youth
More than 150 youth had gathered in the park – many of which were under the influence of alcohol and other intoxicants. One youth climbed on to a police car, attempting to damage the cruiser. 

Port Moody Police struggle to break up a crowd of 150 intoxicated youth

788 arrested in B.C. since logging protest began

788 arrested in B.C. since logging protest began
In a news release, the RCMP say protesters tried to dig trenches along the Granite Mainline Forest Service Road and parked vehicles to prevent officers from leaving but the shallow pits were refilled and automobiles were towed.

788 arrested in B.C. since logging protest began

Mask mandate returns in British Columbia

Mask mandate returns in British Columbia
Henry says about 75 per cent of B.C. residents are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, but that number needs to be higher as the Delta variant drives up case counts, putting those who are unvaccinated at greater risk of contracting the virus.

Mask mandate returns in British Columbia

Trudeau mum on U.S. Afghan deadline ahead of G7

Trudeau mum on U.S. Afghan deadline ahead of G7
Trudeau joined a special virtual meeting of the G7 leaders Tuesday on the crisis in Afghanistan and President Joe Biden is expected to face calls from some fellow leaders to extend the U.S. military commitment to the country beyond his Aug. 31 deadline.

Trudeau mum on U.S. Afghan deadline ahead of G7

COVID-19 plan unveiled for B.C. schools, students grade 4 to 12 required to wear masks in school when classes return in September

COVID-19 plan unveiled for B.C. schools, students grade 4 to 12 required to wear masks in school when classes return in September
Students grade 4 to 12, staff, teachers, visitors and administers will be required to wear masks in school when classes return in September in BC. Education Minister Jennifer Whiteside says it will be full, in person learning. The mask mandate is for indoor spaces, like last school year. Extra curriculars will be back. 

COVID-19 plan unveiled for B.C. schools, students grade 4 to 12 required to wear masks in school when classes return in September

Number of active wildfires in B.C. remains at 250

Number of active wildfires in B.C. remains at 250
Fire information officer Taylor Colman says crews are seeing between three and five fires start each day compared with about 40 in July. She says most of the wildfires of note — including White Rock Lake at about 810 square kilometres and Lytton Creek at 845 square kilometres — have not seen much growth.

Number of active wildfires in B.C. remains at 250