Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jan, 2022 05:38 PM
  • Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate is asking the province to designate one person as an essential visitor for every long-term care resident as the facilities move to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Isobel Mackenzie says in a news release that the need to limit visitors has left a majority of long-term care residents without visits from loved ones.

The province announced last week that visits to long-term care and assisted living facilities would be limited to essential visitors in response to the fast-spreading Omicron variant and would be re-evaluated Jan. 18.

Mackenzie says the process for determining if a resident meets the criteria to have a designated essential visitor is made by the administrator of the facility on a case-by-case basis.

She says essential visitors often give vital support care to seniors, especially as these places face staff absences of up to 30 per cent because of COVID-19.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry agreed during her weekly briefing on Tuesday that visitors in care homes are essential, saying that once rapid tests are deployed in each facility, they'll go back to allowing every resident to have a designated social visitor and an essential visitor.

The federal government said Wednesday that it would be distributing 140 million rapid tests to provinces and territories this month.

A recommendation made by the Office of the Seniors Advocate in November 2020 said all residents must be provided the opportunity to designate an essential visitor.

MacKenzie says her office has received calls from family members, including spouses, who say they can no longer visit, even though they are helping care for the senior.

"They help to feed their loved one, get them dressed, take them for walks, and keep them engaged," she says.

"For many residents, these visitors are the only people who can motivate them to engage in any activities, and yet they are not formally recognized as essential."

MORE National ARTICLES

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail
As the federal election campaign entered its second full week, the Liberals painted themselves as the trusted guardians of universal health care and the New Democrats promised to be true environmental stewards by ending fossil fuel subsidies.

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti
Approximately 400 people were aboard the ship when they were not allowed to enter Canada. The City of Vancouver issued a statement, that it was "saddened" to learn the memorial had been defaced, noting workers will be sent to remove the paint.

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.
More than 60 evacuation orders are in place across British Columbia, and there are nearly 120 evacuation alerts, which means people should be ready to leave within minutes.

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.

B.C. holding COVID-19 vaccination update

B.C. holding COVID-19 vaccination update
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said Friday that B.C. may not be able to move to the next step in its COVID-19 restart plan as quickly as expected.

B.C. holding COVID-19 vaccination update

Strike Force arrest man for alleged breach of prohibitions in relation to children

Strike Force arrest man for alleged breach of prohibitions in relation to children
Richmond RCMP Mobile Enforcement Team subsequently arrested and held the man in-custody for allegedly breaching his order of prohibition in relation to children. Edward Gary Bolderson has been charged with 1 count of fail to comply with prohibitions regarding children, contrary to Section 161(4) of the Criminal Code of Canada.

Strike Force arrest man for alleged breach of prohibitions in relation to children

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton
 A male was located suffering from serious, life threatening injuries and was transported to local hospital.  Two individuals are currently in custody.  

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton