Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jan, 2022 05:38 PM
  • Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate is asking the province to designate one person as an essential visitor for every long-term care resident as the facilities move to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Isobel Mackenzie says in a news release that the need to limit visitors has left a majority of long-term care residents without visits from loved ones.

The province announced last week that visits to long-term care and assisted living facilities would be limited to essential visitors in response to the fast-spreading Omicron variant and would be re-evaluated Jan. 18.

Mackenzie says the process for determining if a resident meets the criteria to have a designated essential visitor is made by the administrator of the facility on a case-by-case basis.

She says essential visitors often give vital support care to seniors, especially as these places face staff absences of up to 30 per cent because of COVID-19.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry agreed during her weekly briefing on Tuesday that visitors in care homes are essential, saying that once rapid tests are deployed in each facility, they'll go back to allowing every resident to have a designated social visitor and an essential visitor.

The federal government said Wednesday that it would be distributing 140 million rapid tests to provinces and territories this month.

A recommendation made by the Office of the Seniors Advocate in November 2020 said all residents must be provided the opportunity to designate an essential visitor.

MacKenzie says her office has received calls from family members, including spouses, who say they can no longer visit, even though they are helping care for the senior.

"They help to feed their loved one, get them dressed, take them for walks, and keep them engaged," she says.

"For many residents, these visitors are the only people who can motivate them to engage in any activities, and yet they are not formally recognized as essential."

MORE National ARTICLES

United States extends border restrictions for Canada, Mexico to Sept. 21

United States extends border restrictions for Canada, Mexico to Sept. 21
The U.S. does, however, allow Canadians to fly across the border for non-essential purposes. The 17-month long ban on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border was eased by the Canadian government on Aug. 9.

United States extends border restrictions for Canada, Mexico to Sept. 21

NDP heads to residential school grave site

NDP heads to residential school grave site
Late last month, Singh became the first federal leader to meet with Indigenous chiefs at the site of the former Kamloops Indian School after the discovery of what are believed to be the remains of 215 children.

NDP heads to residential school grave site

Weekend showers forecast over many B.C. wildfires

Weekend showers forecast over many B.C. wildfires
The BC Wildfire Service says an initial attack crew of 10 people and several aircraft were working with firefighters from numerous local fire departments and more resources are expected to be assigned.

Weekend showers forecast over many B.C. wildfires

PICS drug and gang free communities rally receives positive response

PICS drug and gang free communities rally receives positive response
LA Matheson Secondary School Teacher Annie O Hana delivered a powerful message on the importance of Surrey not being targeted when it comes to drugs and gangs and this issue is not just a Surrey problem but a global problem.

PICS drug and gang free communities rally receives positive response

689 COVID19 cases for Thursday

689 COVID19 cases for Thursday
82.9% (3,842,302) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 74.0% (3,431,103) received their second dose.    

689 COVID19 cases for Thursday

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing person- Alfaz Ismail

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing person- Alfaz Ismail
UPDATE:  Surrey RCMP advises that the 35-year-old male, who was reported missing on August 19, 2021 has been located and is safe. Thank you to the public, media, and our policing and community partners for their assistance.  

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing person- Alfaz Ismail