Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. opening new schools, seats across the province this fall

B.C. opening new schools, seats across the province this fall
A statement from the Infrastructure Ministry shows nearly 2,200 new seats are opening at schools in seven districts, with more yet to be announced.

B.C. opening new schools, seats across the province this fall

Poilievre says temporary foreign workers taking jobs from young Canadians

Poilievre says temporary foreign workers taking jobs from young Canadians
Statistics Canada data shows unemployment for youth, aged 15 to 24, hit 14.6 per cent in July. This is the highest it's been since 2010, outside of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Poilievre says temporary foreign workers taking jobs from young Canadians

Canada Post urges union to revisit offers, says gap between parties is 'substantial'

Canada Post urges union to revisit offers, says gap between parties is 'substantial'
The Crown corporation says the union has "maintained or hardened" its position on many items and added new demands and that the gap between the parties remains "substantial."

Canada Post urges union to revisit offers, says gap between parties is 'substantial'

Two bodies were missed at B.C. death scene. Was treatment of coroners to blame?

Two bodies were missed at B.C. death scene. Was treatment of coroners to blame?
The coroner had missed the bodies for a very simple reason: they did not attend in person.

Two bodies were missed at B.C. death scene. Was treatment of coroners to blame?

Uncertainty reigns in Kanesatake nearly one month after cancelled election

Uncertainty reigns in Kanesatake nearly one month after cancelled election
On Tuesday, the Mohawk Council of Kanesatake filed a statement of claim asking the Federal Court to declare that Simon and four other council chiefs remain in office until a new election can be held. 

Uncertainty reigns in Kanesatake nearly one month after cancelled election

Law advocates slam Ottawa for silence on Trump sanctioning Canadian ICC judge

Law advocates slam Ottawa for silence on Trump sanctioning Canadian ICC judge
The U.S. State Department also sanctioned citizens of France, Fiji and Senegal over their role in the ICC's investigation of Israel's actions in Gaza and the West Bank.

Law advocates slam Ottawa for silence on Trump sanctioning Canadian ICC judge