Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Wildfire near Port Alberni, B.C., that triggered evacuation orders being held

Wildfire near Port Alberni, B.C., that triggered evacuation orders being held
The BC Wildfire Service dashboard says the fire, about 35 square kilometres in size, is projected to remain within its current perimeter.

Wildfire near Port Alberni, B.C., that triggered evacuation orders being held

Anand meets with Rubio in Washington amid bilateral tensions

Anand meets with Rubio in Washington amid bilateral tensions
Neither Anand nor Rubio took questions from reporters but shook hands in front of Canadian and American flags in a room of the U.S. State Department.

Anand meets with Rubio in Washington amid bilateral tensions

Poilievre calls on federal government to classify Bishnoi gang as terror entity

Poilievre calls on federal government to classify Bishnoi gang as terror entity
Poilievre says a terror designation will be part of a tough-on-crime push the Conservatives will make during the fall session of Parliament. 

Poilievre calls on federal government to classify Bishnoi gang as terror entity

Final temporary closure of 2025 for Joffre Lakes Park planned for September

Final temporary closure of 2025 for Joffre Lakes Park planned for September
The closure allows the park to recover from a busy summer and provide time and space for members of the Lil'wat Nation and N'Quatqua to reconnect with the land, carry out cultural and spiritual practices, and recognize the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.

Final temporary closure of 2025 for Joffre Lakes Park planned for September

After Air Canada strike, Section 107 of labour code is 'dead,' says union leader

After Air Canada strike, Section 107 of labour code is 'dead,' says union leader
Section 107 has been in the Canada Labour Code for more than 40 years but using it has become more common particularly in the last year.

After Air Canada strike, Section 107 of labour code is 'dead,' says union leader

Some evacuation orders, alerts linked to Vancouver Island wildfire lifted

Some evacuation orders, alerts linked to Vancouver Island wildfire lifted
The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District, the City of Port Alberni and the Tseshaht First Nation jointly issued an update at 8 a.m. saying evacuation orders are lifted for the China Creek Campground and Headquarters Bay, which remain on evacuation alert.

Some evacuation orders, alerts linked to Vancouver Island wildfire lifted