Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fire near Vernon, B.C., is being held, with tactical evacuation order lifted

Fire near Vernon, B.C., is being held, with tactical evacuation order lifted
The BC Wildfire Service's online dashboard says in an overnight update that the Boltres Creek fire just south of Vernon is projected to remain in its current perimeter measuring one square kilometre.

Fire near Vernon, B.C., is being held, with tactical evacuation order lifted

A multi-storey building under construction was destroyed by fire, mayor says

A multi-storey building under construction was destroyed by fire, mayor says
Police say they were called to the multi-storey construction site at 4:13 a.m. Sunday after receiving a report of a fire. 

A multi-storey building under construction was destroyed by fire, mayor says

Voters head to the polls in Battle River—Crowfoot as Poilievre seeks return to House

Voters head to the polls in Battle River—Crowfoot as Poilievre seeks return to House
Battle River—Crowfoot was left vacant when Conservative Damien Kurek stepped down shortly after the spring election to make way for his party's leader, Pierre Poilievre, to run for a seat. 

Voters head to the polls in Battle River—Crowfoot as Poilievre seeks return to House

Carney 'disappointed' by Air Canada impasse, urges both sides to reach a deal

Carney 'disappointed' by Air Canada impasse, urges both sides to reach a deal
He is urging both sides to quickly resolve the situation that is causing major travel chaos for Canadian and international travellers.

Carney 'disappointed' by Air Canada impasse, urges both sides to reach a deal

U.S. trade and tariffs on the agenda as Prime Minister Carney, Premier Ford meet

U.S. trade and tariffs on the agenda as Prime Minister Carney, Premier Ford meet
On his way into the meeting, Carney told reporters the pair will focus on aspects of the Canadian economy that "we can control."

U.S. trade and tariffs on the agenda as Prime Minister Carney, Premier Ford meet

Here's the latest in the labour dispute between Air Canada and its flight attendants

Here's the latest in the labour dispute between Air Canada and its flight attendants
The order came as picketers continued to march around the Terminal 1 departure doors at Toronto Pearson International Airport early Monday morning.

Here's the latest in the labour dispute between Air Canada and its flight attendants