Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Chilliwack, B.C., man found not criminally responsible for wife's stabbing death

Chilliwack, B.C., man found not criminally responsible for wife's stabbing death
The court ruling posted online Wednesday says the man — who cannot be named to protect the identity of the victim — killed his wife in the belief he was "saving her" from being tortured or raped by people targeting the couple. 

Chilliwack, B.C., man found not criminally responsible for wife's stabbing death

Transportation Safety Board sends investigators to B.C. after tour boat runs aground

Transportation Safety Board sends investigators to B.C. after tour boat runs aground
The agency says investigators have been deployed to Vancouver Harbour to investigate the Aug. 3 accident that injured one passenger.

Transportation Safety Board sends investigators to B.C. after tour boat runs aground

Work begins on new long-term care home in Vancouver

Work begins on new long-term care home in Vancouver
St. Vincent's Heather is a new 13-storey long-term care home that will include space for 240 residents and help meet the needs of local seniors. It will feature:

Work begins on new long-term care home in Vancouver

Advance polls open in Alberta byelection

Advance polls open in Alberta byelection
For the first time ever, Elections Canada says voters must fill out a blank ballot.

Advance polls open in Alberta byelection

Baklava pastries containing pistachios recalled due to salmonella

Baklava pastries containing pistachios recalled due to salmonella
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency issued a recall notice for some Andalos brand pastries distributed in New Brunswick, Ontario, Quebec and sold online.

Baklava pastries containing pistachios recalled due to salmonella

Carney announces 20% increase in military starting pay

Carney announces 20% increase in military starting pay
Other military members will also receive pay raises, with smaller increases for higher ranks — part of a plan to boost recruitment and operational readiness.

Carney announces 20% increase in military starting pay