Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ontario First Nation asks for halt to Ring of Fire mining development

Ontario First Nation asks for halt to Ring of Fire mining development
Marten Falls First Nation, located about 400 kilometres northeast of Thunder Bay, has filed a statement of claim asking for interim and permanent injunctions preventing Ontario and Canada from funding or participating in mining-related activities in the Ring of Fire.

Ontario First Nation asks for halt to Ring of Fire mining development

Climate change major driver of surging algae levels in Canada's lakes: study

Climate change major driver of surging algae levels in Canada's lakes: study
Average algae levels have spiked seven-fold since around the 1960s compared to the previous century, according to a study of 80 lakes across Canada. 

Climate change major driver of surging algae levels in Canada's lakes: study

Family 'heartbroken' after B.C. mother and baby killed by falling tree

Family 'heartbroken' after B.C. mother and baby killed by falling tree
In a statement provided through the Comox Valley RCMP, the family thanks emergency responders and others on the beach at Cumberland Lake Park Campground who tried to save the pair on July 31.

Family 'heartbroken' after B.C. mother and baby killed by falling tree

Carney calls on Métis groups to help change Canada's 'economic trajectory'

Carney calls on Métis groups to help change Canada's 'economic trajectory'
"We have the opportunity to work together on transformative projects that can help change the economic trajectory of our country to the benefit of all," Carney said to Métis leaders from Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan and the N.W.T. who gathered in Ottawa for the meeting.

Carney calls on Métis groups to help change Canada's 'economic trajectory'

Two climbers, one of them injured, plucked off sheer mountain face in B.C.

Two climbers, one of them injured, plucked off sheer mountain face in B.C.
North Shore Search and Rescue says in a social media statement that they went in late Tuesday, but weather was rapidly deteriorating and the climbers were hanging mid-face on the 2,100-metre peak. 

Two climbers, one of them injured, plucked off sheer mountain face in B.C.

First Nation disappointed as B.C. court rejects challenge to Mount Polley dam level

First Nation disappointed as B.C. court rejects challenge to Mount Polley dam level
The Xatsull First Nation claimed the province's approval of the plan to raise the level of the dam in B.C.'s Interior by four metres was improper and done without "meaningful" consultation with the nation. 

First Nation disappointed as B.C. court rejects challenge to Mount Polley dam level