Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Oct, 2020 08:47 PM
  • Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

A man who pleaded guilty to murdering four people in Penticton, B.C., tearfully apologized to the victims' families, saying he shattered their lives when he decided to shoot the victims.

John Brittain pleaded guilty Wednesday to three counts of first-degree murder and one charge of second-degree murder and told police when he turned himself in that the people he killed had harassed his ex-wife for years.

The B.C. Supreme Court heard the 69-year-old man murdered Rudi Winter, Barry and Susan Wonch, and Darlene Knippelberg on April 15, 2019, shooting each of them multiple times.

Brittain told the court during his sentencing hearing that he is sorry for the devastation he caused his former wife, the City of Penticton and its residents, as well as police officers who responded to the carnage he caused.

He says he doesn't understand why he did what he did and the images he sees in his head will torment him for the rest of his life.

Parole eligibility for first-degree murder is set at 25 years, while it is between 10 and 25 years for second-degree murder, but Brittain's lawyer has asked a judge to impose concurrent sentences so his client would be eligible for parole in his early 90s.

MORE National ARTICLES

Economy adds 246,000 jobs in August

Economy adds 246,000 jobs in August
Gains in August were largely concentrated in full-time work, which had been lagging behind gains in part-time employment.

Economy adds 246,000 jobs in August

Canada sends 60 firefighters to California

Canada sends 60 firefighters to California
Marc Mousseau of the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre says the crews arrived in the state Thursday after a day-long briefing at the centre's sister agency in Idaho.

Canada sends 60 firefighters to California

First wave of federal funding for food processors

First wave of federal funding for food processors
A $77.5-million emergency fund was announced by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in May to help food processors adapt to COVID-19 protocols, including acquiring more protective equipment for workers.

First wave of federal funding for food processors

Police allege slurs yelled at Black man before stabbing

Police allege slurs yelled at Black man before stabbing
Police say the video shows the fight first breaking out between the victim and the male suspect. The four women then join in with punches and kicks.

Police allege slurs yelled at Black man before stabbing

N.B. party leaders want to increase population

N.B. party leaders want to increase population
Liberal Leader Kevin Vickers also pledged to increase the number of New Brunswickers as he released his party's full platform this morning in Moncton.

N.B. party leaders want to increase population

UPDATE: Abbotsford Police are looking for missing 26 year old man Brook Morrison

UPDATE: Abbotsford Police are looking for missing 26 year old man Brook Morrison
UPDATE: Today, at approximately 11:45 am, Abbotsford Police and Search and Rescue volunteers located a deceased male in an area off Straiton Road. It has now been determined that the deceased male is Brook Morrison.

UPDATE: Abbotsford Police are looking for missing 26 year old man Brook Morrison