Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Oct, 2020 08:47 PM
  • Man who murdered 4 people apologizes in court

A man who pleaded guilty to murdering four people in Penticton, B.C., tearfully apologized to the victims' families, saying he shattered their lives when he decided to shoot the victims.

John Brittain pleaded guilty Wednesday to three counts of first-degree murder and one charge of second-degree murder and told police when he turned himself in that the people he killed had harassed his ex-wife for years.

The B.C. Supreme Court heard the 69-year-old man murdered Rudi Winter, Barry and Susan Wonch, and Darlene Knippelberg on April 15, 2019, shooting each of them multiple times.

Brittain told the court during his sentencing hearing that he is sorry for the devastation he caused his former wife, the City of Penticton and its residents, as well as police officers who responded to the carnage he caused.

He says he doesn't understand why he did what he did and the images he sees in his head will torment him for the rest of his life.

Parole eligibility for first-degree murder is set at 25 years, while it is between 10 and 25 years for second-degree murder, but Brittain's lawyer has asked a judge to impose concurrent sentences so his client would be eligible for parole in his early 90s.

MORE National ARTICLES

Virus kneecapped Canadian confidence: Poll

Virus kneecapped Canadian confidence: Poll
Sixty-one per cent of Canadians who took part in the Pew Research Center survey released Thursday described the country's current economic situation as bad, more than twice the 27 per cent who said the same thing last year.

Virus kneecapped Canadian confidence: Poll

Feds short $14B on equalization: PBO

Feds short $14B on equalization: PBO
The parliamentary budget officer's review of a decade of federal payments to provinces showed that federal coffers have saved $14.5 billion over that time.

Feds short $14B on equalization: PBO

Military members asked to use COVID-19 app

Military members asked to use COVID-19 app
Chief of defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance and Defence Department deputy minister Jody Thomas say they understand some may have concerns when it comes to privacy and secrecy.

Military members asked to use COVID-19 app

Tories ask languages czar to probe WE deal

Tories ask languages czar to probe WE deal
Conservative MP Richard Martel alleges in a letter to commissioner Raymond Theberge that the youth group did not have the ability to deliver the multimillion-dollar Canada Student Service Grant program in both of Canada's official languages.

Tories ask languages czar to probe WE deal

Parents take Quebec to court for online learning

Parents take Quebec to court for online learning
Human rights lawyer Julius Grey told Quebec Superior Court Justice Frederic Bachand the decision to send one's child to class during the COVID-19 pandemic is an extremely private and personal one.

Parents take Quebec to court for online learning

Bottle depots to accept cannabis containers?

Bottle depots to accept cannabis containers?
The Alberta Bottle Depot Association says paying a deposit on the containers and having it returned at dropoff would help divert plastic from landfills and stabilize declines in depot income.

Bottle depots to accept cannabis containers?