Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 May, 2026 08:59 AM
  • Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

An Edmonton city councillor says he and his team are helping a woman facing intimate partner violence relocate with her children after her address was leaked in an alleged privacy breach by a separatist group.

The councillor says he is also hearing from others whose safety and lives have been affected after the group, called The Centurion Project, publicly distributed a list naming nearly three million electors in Alberta and their addresses. Elections Alberta is probing the matter.

"(I feel) deep, deep concern, and anger," said Aaron Paquette, who represents the Dene ward in Edmonton's northeast, in a Sunday phone interview.

"There are so many other people whose stories match this (woman's) and people need to know that they're not alone, and other people who are not experiencing this need to know how devastating it is."

He said his office has advised the woman to contact police. She had to figure out how to break her lease agreement and find a new accommodation over the weekend, the councillor said.

"Can you imagine the stress that this woman is going through," he asked.

"As a parent I feel extremely emotional about this."

Prime Minister Mark Carney called the alleged privacy breach deeply concerning in a weekend statement.

"I expect Elections Alberta and the RCMP to work thoroughly and expeditiously to assess the causes and to pursue appropriate actions against those responsible," he said.

"We must be constantly vigilant to protect the rights of Canadians and the integrity of our democratic processes."

Last week, Elections Alberta announced it is investigating the Centurion Project after it published the list through an app.

The app was taken down Thursday after Elections Alberta got a judge to grant an injunction ordering the group shut it down.

The Centurion Project has since said it will comply with Elections Alberta's investigation, which, among other things, is looking into how the group got a hold of the list.

Lawyers for Elections Alberta told the injunction hearing that investigators determined the database matched a voter list legally provided to the Republican Party of Alberta, a pro-independence party, last summer. 

They said it was still unclear whether the party passed on the list to The Centurion Project or if the list had been obtained through other means.

Such voter lists are only distributed by Elections Alberta to elected officials, political parties and party officials. Provincial law dictates that it can only be used to solicit donations, recruit party members and communicate with electors.

Paquette said this massive privacy breach, like others, has serious consequences.

"Any bad action is a bad action no matter how many times someone else has engaged in it."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Justice department cutting up to 264 jobs as it faces 'budgetary pressures'

Justice department cutting up to 264 jobs as it faces 'budgetary pressures'
The federal department of justice is set to lay off up to 264 employees as it navigates what it calls "significant budgetary pressures."

Justice department cutting up to 264 jobs as it faces 'budgetary pressures'

$60M donation will fund cardiovascular institute at Vancouver General Hospital

$60M donation will fund cardiovascular institute at Vancouver General Hospital
Angela Chapman, president of the VGH and UBC Hospital Foundation, said the donation from the Dilawri Foundation is the largest in the hospital foundation's history.

$60M donation will fund cardiovascular institute at Vancouver General Hospital

Carney says he'll 'take note' of opposition motion to table a spring economic update

Carney says he'll 'take note' of opposition motion to table a spring economic update
Prime Minister Mark Carney said he will "take note" of the successful opposition motion to add language calling for a spring economic update to the throne speech, but did not say when or how that will happen.

Carney says he'll 'take note' of opposition motion to table a spring economic update

B.C. opening 18 long-term involuntary care beds in Metro Vancouver

B.C. opening 18 long-term involuntary care beds in Metro Vancouver
The British Columbia government has created 18 new beds dedicated to long-term involuntary care at a Metro Vancouver mental health facility.

B.C. opening 18 long-term involuntary care beds in Metro Vancouver

Trump signs order to double tariffs on steel, aluminum Wednesday

Trump signs order to double tariffs on steel, aluminum Wednesday
U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Tuesday to double steel and aluminum tariffs, as Canadian officials say they're still hoping for a good outcome from meetings in Washington.

Trump signs order to double tariffs on steel, aluminum Wednesday

‘Another universe of pain and suffering’: Patients allege neglectful obstetrical and gynecological care by Toronto doctor

Marie-Louise Fitrion says she was asleep in a hospital bed when she woke up to an obstetrician’s hand in her vagina.

‘Another universe of pain and suffering’: Patients allege neglectful obstetrical and gynecological care by Toronto doctor