Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 May, 2026 08:59 AM
  • Mark Carney calls alleged privacy breach in Alberta deeply concerning

An Edmonton city councillor says he and his team are helping a woman facing intimate partner violence relocate with her children after her address was leaked in an alleged privacy breach by a separatist group.

The councillor says he is also hearing from others whose safety and lives have been affected after the group, called The Centurion Project, publicly distributed a list naming nearly three million electors in Alberta and their addresses. Elections Alberta is probing the matter.

"(I feel) deep, deep concern, and anger," said Aaron Paquette, who represents the Dene ward in Edmonton's northeast, in a Sunday phone interview.

"There are so many other people whose stories match this (woman's) and people need to know that they're not alone, and other people who are not experiencing this need to know how devastating it is."

He said his office has advised the woman to contact police. She had to figure out how to break her lease agreement and find a new accommodation over the weekend, the councillor said.

"Can you imagine the stress that this woman is going through," he asked.

"As a parent I feel extremely emotional about this."

Prime Minister Mark Carney called the alleged privacy breach deeply concerning in a weekend statement.

"I expect Elections Alberta and the RCMP to work thoroughly and expeditiously to assess the causes and to pursue appropriate actions against those responsible," he said.

"We must be constantly vigilant to protect the rights of Canadians and the integrity of our democratic processes."

Last week, Elections Alberta announced it is investigating the Centurion Project after it published the list through an app.

The app was taken down Thursday after Elections Alberta got a judge to grant an injunction ordering the group shut it down.

The Centurion Project has since said it will comply with Elections Alberta's investigation, which, among other things, is looking into how the group got a hold of the list.

Lawyers for Elections Alberta told the injunction hearing that investigators determined the database matched a voter list legally provided to the Republican Party of Alberta, a pro-independence party, last summer. 

They said it was still unclear whether the party passed on the list to The Centurion Project or if the list had been obtained through other means.

Such voter lists are only distributed by Elections Alberta to elected officials, political parties and party officials. Provincial law dictates that it can only be used to solicit donations, recruit party members and communicate with electors.

Paquette said this massive privacy breach, like others, has serious consequences.

"Any bad action is a bad action no matter how many times someone else has engaged in it."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Carney discusses "partnerships" with oil and gas executives in Calgary

Carney discusses
Prime Minister Mark Carney sat down with oil and gas executives in Calgary Sunday to discuss partnerships and to get their input for his plans to make Canada an energy superpower.

Carney discusses "partnerships" with oil and gas executives in Calgary

Joly commits to prioritizing Canadian steel, aluminum for defence, infrastructure

Ottawa is committed to using Canadian steel and aluminum in national infrastructure and defence projects as U.S. President Donald Trump threatens to impose more tariffs, Industry Minister Mélanie Joly said Sunday.

Joly commits to prioritizing Canadian steel, aluminum for defence, infrastructure

Ottawa collects extra $617M from import duties in March as counter-tariffs hit U.S.

Ottawa collects extra $617M from import duties in March as counter-tariffs hit U.S.
Ottawa collected an extra $617 million in import duties this past March compared to a year earlier as counter-tariffs against U.S. trade restrictions came into effect.

Ottawa collects extra $617M from import duties in March as counter-tariffs hit U.S.

Vancouver mayor, city councillors to meet with federal officials in Ottawa

Vancouver mayor, city councillors to meet with federal officials in Ottawa
The City of Vancouver says Mayor Ken Sim and two city councillors will travel to Ottawa this week to meet with senior federal officials.

Vancouver mayor, city councillors to meet with federal officials in Ottawa

B.C. pushes back on Alberta's pipeline pitch as premiers, PM meet in Saskatoon

B.C. pushes back on Alberta's pipeline pitch as premiers, PM meet in Saskatoon
British Columbia is pushing back against Alberta Premier Danielle Smith's proposal for a bitumen pipeline to B.C.'s northern coast.

B.C. pushes back on Alberta's pipeline pitch as premiers, PM meet in Saskatoon

Defence wraps its case in hockey players' sex assault trial

Defence wraps its case in hockey players' sex assault trial
Defence lawyers representing five hockey players accused of sexual assault closed their case Monday, wrapping up testimony in a trial that has heard from nine witnesses over roughly six weeks, including the complainant and one of the accused.

Defence wraps its case in hockey players' sex assault trial