Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mask mandate announced for all B.C. students

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Oct, 2021 12:24 PM
  • Mask mandate announced for all B.C. students

VANCOUVER - British Columbia's provincial health officer has mandated masks for all schoolchildren across the province after three school districts announced their own policies to include kindergarten-to-Grade 3 students.

Dr. Bonnie Henry says she has heard the concerns of parents as COVID-19 cases have risen over the last couple of weeks among kids, especially those between the ages of five and 11, and in communities with lower vaccination rates.

Henry says her school mask mandate will be in place until at least January, when it will be assessed based on whether vaccines would be available for children under 12.

She says school staff who were prioritized for vaccination should be immunized as well to reduce the risk of COVID-19 entering schools at a time when more respiratory illnesses are circulating and so families can gather for Thanksgiving.

School districts in Vancouver, Surrey and Burnaby had already announced that a provincial mask mandate for students in Grade 4 and up would be extended to younger kids, leaving 57 other school districts to either introduce policies independently or wait for Henry to impose a provincewide measure.

The provincial health officer says a return to learning cohorts has not been considered because it caused significant challenges in the operation of schools when other strategies like reducing group gatherings and assemblies were more effective in reducing COVID-19 transmission.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

More than 1M Canadians have mixed vaccines so far

More than 1M Canadians have mixed vaccines so far
Health Canada says at least 1.3 million Canadians opted for a mixed-dose finish to their COVID-19 vaccination schedule in June. 

More than 1M Canadians have mixed vaccines so far

Canadian killed in Miami building collapse

Canadian killed in Miami building collapse
Global Affairs Canada said on Tuesday that the Canadian is among 32 dead in the collapse that occurred on June 24. The government agency said three other Canadians are among the 113 people who remain unaccounted for.

Canadian killed in Miami building collapse

Liberals lead Tories among decided voters: Poll

Liberals lead Tories among decided voters: Poll
A new poll suggests Justin Trudeau's Liberal party has only a narrow lead over the Opposition Conservatives among decided voters.

Liberals lead Tories among decided voters: Poll

Possible gang link to latest Surrey shooting: RCMP

Possible gang link to latest Surrey shooting: RCMP
Police are investigating a shooting and separate vehicle fire in Surrey, B.C. RCMP say a home and vehicle in the Fleetwood neighbourhood were hit by several bullets just after 9 p.m. Monday.

Possible gang link to latest Surrey shooting: RCMP

5 year old dead in a Surrey house fire as a result of a domestic violence incident: IHIT

5 year old dead in a Surrey house fire as a result of a domestic violence incident: IHIT
RCMP say the 42-year-old woman called police late Monday to report she had fled the home after being stabbed, but the child was still in the house. The woman's attacker, who police say is known to the victims, is alleged to have set the home on fire before driving away.

5 year old dead in a Surrey house fire as a result of a domestic violence incident: IHIT

Government pipeline support at $23B: study

Government pipeline support at $23B: study
Taxpayer dollars are heavily distorting Canada's financial marketplace in favour of fossil fuel pipelines, new research suggests.

Government pipeline support at $23B: study