Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Tentative four-year deal reached in B.C. port strike, subject to ratification

Tentative four-year deal reached in B.C. port strike, subject to ratification
The tentative deal comes after federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan ordered a mediator to issue terms of possible settlement earlier this week, saying the gap in the deadlocked talks was "not sufficient to justify a continued work stoppage."  

Tentative four-year deal reached in B.C. port strike, subject to ratification

More than 1,000 Canadians take CRA to court over pandemic payments — and some win

More than 1,000 Canadians take CRA to court over pandemic payments — and some win
The government's subsequent attempts to claw back pandemic funds from those it now deems ineligible set the stage for more than 1,000 battles in Federal Court between claimants and the Canada Revenue Agency.

More than 1,000 Canadians take CRA to court over pandemic payments — and some win

Daly bridge being replaced

Daly bridge being replaced
The Daly Bridge is being replaced southeast of Lumby in B-C's southern Interior. Vernon-Monashee M-L-A Harwinder Sandhu says replacing the 50-year-old bridge will help to safeguard access to homes and businesses in the Creighton Valley area by reducing the chance of flooding or washouts.

Daly bridge being replaced

Drug alert in Chilliwack

Drug alert in Chilliwack
A drug alert has been issued by Fraser Health after benzodiazepines were detected in vape juice containing cannabis and synthetic cannabinoids. The Mounties say the tainted products are being sold in clubs and bars, but may also be sold elsewhere.  

Drug alert in Chilliwack

Suspect wanted in fraud

Suspect wanted in fraud
R-C-M-P are looking for a suspect wanted in a fraud and identity theft case that has resulted in more than 200 charges being laid. The Mounties say two others have been taken into custody after a vehicle stop in March led to the seizure of multiple forged documents.  

Suspect wanted in fraud

B.C. Mountie charged with dangerous driving causing bodily harm

B.C. Mountie charged with dangerous driving causing bodily harm
The BC Prosecution Service says the charge for Cst. Robby Pawar stems from an incident that is alleged to have happened on Dec. 3, 2021, in Delta, B.C. The Mountie's first appearance is scheduled to take place on August 2, 2023 in Surrey Provincial Court.

B.C. Mountie charged with dangerous driving causing bodily harm