Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Sep, 2024 02:56 PM
  • Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

The union says it was informed through the mediator that Transdev won't be able to meet and provide a counterproposal until Sept. 12, while the ATU says it was willing to negotiate around the clock.

It says it plans to hold a rally this Tuesday in front of the office of TransLink,  the agency responsible for transit in Metro Vancouver.

HandyDART workers walked off the job last week to fight for a fair contract after turning down Transdev’s last contract offer. 

It offers door-to-door service to people who are unable to navigate the conventional transit system, but the strike has brought an end to all service with the exception of some essential medical trips.

Local union president Joe McCann had said the union was cautiously optimistic a deal could be done ahead of Sunday's mediated talks with their employer, but members are prepared to stay on strike "as long as it takes."

As the negotiations continue, longtime HandyDART users are also watching closely. 

Lynn Johnston says she relies HandyDART for most of her transportation needs, and she has been taking conventional transit to attend her doctor appointments due to the strike which has been "a horrible experience." 

Johnston says her heart goes out to many customers who have been left stranded at home by the strike, and she also hopes the mediated talks can bring about a "fair resolution" for the drivers who work hard and genuinely care about their customers. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey shooting victim identified as Pavanbar Paul Mannan

Surrey shooting victim identified as Pavanbar Paul Mannan
IHIT investigators are identifying the victim as 29-year old, Pavanbar Paul Mannan, of Surrey, in hopes of furthering their investigation. Surrey RCMP say in a statement Mannan was found in a white Ford Edge in the alleyway north of 96 Avenue and 130 Street around 5 p.m. on Sunday, and was later declared dead at a hospital.

Surrey shooting victim identified as Pavanbar Paul Mannan

Three males arrested after threats with knives on White Rock pier

Three males arrested after threats with knives on White Rock pier
White Rock RCMP beach patrol officers were on foot nearby and gave chase along the promenade. After a short foot pursuit three males were arrested and their knives seized. Two youth males, were released from police custody with conditions and future court dates, into the care of their parents/guardians.

Three males arrested after threats with knives on White Rock pier

BC burning home rescue

BC burning home rescue
R-C-M-P say an off-duty Mountie showed bravery when he saved three people's lives from a burning home on Vancouver Island. Police got a call yesterday morning about a neighbour's house being on fire in Lake Cowichan and when that resident knocked on the door, there was no response. 

BC burning home rescue

Ukraine war proves value of LNG Canada, CEO tells global gas conference in Vancouver

Ukraine war proves value of LNG Canada, CEO tells global gas conference in Vancouver
Project CEO Jason Klein has told the LNG 2023 conference in Vancouver that the project is close to 85-per-cent complete and will aim to compete globally, not only on price but also its environmental and social track record.

Ukraine war proves value of LNG Canada, CEO tells global gas conference in Vancouver

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home
Two people in Nanaimo are unhurt but their home has smoke damage after what R-C-M-P say was a suspicious fire. It happened early yesterday morning south of Nanaimo in the Cinnabar Valley neighbourhood.

Suspicious fire at a Nanaimo home

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior
The BC Wildfire Service is reporting more than 300 fires, with 87 spotted in the last 24 hours and almost 200 of the total number ranked as out of control.  B.C.'s wildfire danger was high to extreme across all but small pockets of the province on Monday.  

Lightning sparks about 200 new wildfires across B.C. as heat grips Interior