Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Military dealing with 900 unvaccinated troops

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jan, 2022 02:05 PM
  • Military dealing with 900 unvaccinated troops

OTTAWA - The Department of National Defence says formal proceedings have been launched against more than 900 members of the Canadian Armed Forces for refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

Chief of the defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre ordered all military personnel to attest to having been fully vaccinated by mid-October. The deadline was later extended to mid-December.

Defence Department spokesman Daniel Le Bouthillier says reviews had been launched against 100 Armed Forces members by the end of December for repeatedly refusing to get their jabs.

Another 800 had received warnings, orders to attend counselling and other remedial measures, and could also be forced to hang up their uniforms if they would not get the shot.

Le Bouthillier says 44 full-time members of the Armed Forces have volunteered to leave the military rather than get jabbed, along with an unknown number of part-time reservists.

Last month, the Federal Court dismissed a request from several Armed Forces members to stop the military from forcing them to get vaccinated, the latest in a string of legal defeats for federal government employees fighting vaccine requirements.

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP reveals jobs plan focused on workers' support

NDP reveals jobs plan focused on workers' support
Singh stopped short of calling his proposal a "Buy Canadian" policy along the lines of the "Buy American" rules for government in the United States.

NDP reveals jobs plan focused on workers' support

Heat wave caused increase in melt of glaciers

Heat wave caused increase in melt of glaciers
Dozens of temperature records were shattered during the period, including a Canadian record of 49.6 C in Lytton, B.C., the day before fire destroyed most of the community.

Heat wave caused increase in melt of glaciers

Evacuation order for Cariboo region in B.C.

Evacuation order for Cariboo region in B.C.
The order from the Cariboo Regional District covers roughly 1,000 properties south of 100 Mile House and 482 properties in the Canim Lake area, with residents warned of "immediate danger" from wildfires.

Evacuation order for Cariboo region in B.C.

41 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

41 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
79.3% (3,674,169) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 47.3% (2,191,315) received their second dose.    

41 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

France impatient with Canada's closed border

France impatient with Canada's closed border
The Canadian border remains closed to foreigners, with a few exceptions, and will be until at least July 21. Ottawa has extended the closure, month after month, since the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020.

France impatient with Canada's closed border

BoC cuts growth forecast for 2021, holds rate

BoC cuts growth forecast for 2021, holds rate
 The central bank said it expects the economy to grow 6.0 per cent in 2021, down from its previous forecast of 6.5 per cent. However, the bank now expects growth of 4.6 per cent in 2022, up from its earlier forecast of 3.7 per cent.

BoC cuts growth forecast for 2021, holds rate