Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 May, 2025 01:49 PM
  • Minister says CFIA following due process in B.C. ostrich cull case

The federal agriculture minister says the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is following "due process" as it prepares for a cull of about 400 ostriches at a farm in British Columbia.

Protesters have called for the ostriches at the farm in Edgewood, B.C., to be saved, drawing support from U.S. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz, who is the administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Asked about U.S. interventions in the case, Agriculture Minister Heath MacDonald said he didn't think important decisions should be made by following social media.

"I think if we follow Twitter or that type of thing with any major decisions that we're making here in Canada, I'm not sure that that's the appropriate course of action," MacDonald said.

He said he felt sorry for the farmers but there was an obligation to protect Canada's industries.

He said he hadn't been in contact with his U.S. counterpart on the issue.

The owners of the Universal Ostrich farms filed a Federal Court appeal this week seeking a “stay of the execution and enforcement” of the culling order, which was first issued last year during an outbreak of avian flu that killed 69 of the ostriches.

They have claimed that the surviving ostriches have acquired herd immunity to avian flu and they should be spared because they are valuable to science, a position supported by Kennedy who suggested joint research on the birds.

Kennedy wrote to the head of the CFIA last week seeking to avert the cull, while Oz has offered to rehouse the birds at his Florida ranch.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy, who has visited the farm, said Ottawa should listen to the U.S. officials and spare the birds. 

"So if our main trading partner is looking to preserve these birds, especially for research, I would implore the federal government to take (this) seriously and pursue alternatives,” he said.

Kealy said the family has sent letters to every MP asking for their support seeking an exemption to the cull order.

Katie Pasitney, whose parents own the farm, said they aren't interested in Oz's offer to rehouse the flock, although they're grateful for the support.

Protesters have gathered at the farm to prevent the cull, which the CFIA has said will go ahead at an undisclosed time.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Hemens

MORE National ARTICLES

Man dead after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop in Surrey

Man dead after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop in Surrey
A 33-year-old man died after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop bench in Surrey where two people were waiting for a bus. Surrey RCMP say officers responded to the scene on Saturday afternoon after receiving a report of a motor vehicle collision.

Man dead after a pickup truck crashed into a bus stop in Surrey

One dead in Merritt rollover crash

One dead in Merritt rollover crash
Police in B-C say one person is dead and four others are injured following a serious single-vehicle rollover near Merritt. R-C-M-P say they were called to the scene at around 3:50 p.m. Saturday after receiving a report of a serious vehicle incident on Highway 5 north of Juliet Road. 

One dead in Merritt rollover crash

Police car stolen at Vancouver park

Police car stolen at Vancouver park
A man with a lengthy criminal record is back in custody after allegedly stealing a police car at a Vancouver park yesterday morning. Vancouver police say the car was allegedly stolen around 10:45 a.m. after officers were flagged down to help a woman in distress in East Vancouver. 

Police car stolen at Vancouver park

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad
That's after video surfaced of Rustad saying his party would "certainly be participating with other jurisdictions" after being asked at an online meeting in July about where he stood on "Nuremberg 2.0," which is the idea that people behind public health measures during the pandemic should be put on trial.

Nuremberg and Nazi comparisons to COVID-19 measures 'unacceptable': Rustad

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs
Surrey RCMP say a more than a year long drug trafficking investigation has led to one arrest and the seizure of 23-kilograms of M-D-M-A, a quantity of fentanyl and other illicit drugs. They say the probe targeted a network that allegedly supplied bulk amounts of illicit drugs to traffickers in several Greater Vancouver cities.

Year long trafficking investigation leads to 1 arrest and seizure of 23 kgs of illicit drugs

Vancouver police boost presence at protests, schools for Oct. 7 anniversary

Vancouver police boost presence at protests, schools for Oct. 7 anniversary
Vancouver Police Chief Const. Adam Palmer says planned and unplanned protests across the city are posing a "significant" risk of disorder, and officers trained specifically for large-scale events will be deployed. In addition, Palmer says tactical response and uniformed officers will be placed at "key locations" in consultation with leaders of both the Jewish and Muslim communities.

Vancouver police boost presence at protests, schools for Oct. 7 anniversary