Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Apr, 2021 05:16 PM
  • Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

More than 1,000 dockworkers at the Port of Montreal began a strike Monday morning — a move that the port authority says will mean a total shutdown of all port operations.

The Montreal Port Authority says the strike began effective at 7 a.m. ET.

The workers, who have been without a contract since December 2018, have been on an overtime strike since April 17 and have refused to work weekends since April 18.

The strike follows comments Sunday by federal Labour Minister Filomena Tassi who said Ottawa has filed notice that it will table back-to-work legislation in the coming days if an agreement is not reached.

Tassi said the government would prefer not to intervene but may have no choice given what she called the significant and potentially long-lasting harm to the economy caused by a work stoppage.

The Port of Montreal saw a dip in activity as early as last month, as customers sought other ports to export and import from ahead of the strike.

Several employers groups have raised concerns about the impact of the strike on business.

"The Port of Montreal is critical to the economic well-being of Canadians across the country, particularly those in Quebec and Eastern Canada," said Tassi in a statement on Twitter.

"The government must act when all other efforts have been exhausted and a work stoppage is causing significant economic harm to Canadians."

Another work stoppage took place last year in August, when the union representing the dock workers enacted a 10-day strike.

MORE National ARTICLES

PBO: Work-from-home tax break to cost feds $260M

PBO: Work-from-home tax break to cost feds $260M
Workers who have been able to do their jobs remotely have been asked to do so since the spring as part of public health efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19.

PBO: Work-from-home tax break to cost feds $260M

RCMP cameras to cost $131 million over five years

RCMP cameras to cost $131 million over five years
A costing note Thursday said the RCMP is expected to purchase 12,500 camera subscriptions for use across the country at 700 detachments.

RCMP cameras to cost $131 million over five years

Vaccine makers all gave Canadian production a pass

Vaccine makers all gave Canadian production a pass
She says all the manufacturers studied what was possible in Canada for production and the existing biomanufacturing facilities were not suitable.

Vaccine makers all gave Canadian production a pass

Tories call for study of Canada-U.S. relations

Tories call for study of Canada-U.S. relations
The committee would also explore what work the government is doing with the U.S. to procure a steady stream of COVID-19 vaccines.

Tories call for study of Canada-U.S. relations

IHIT identifies man killed in Langley shooting as 22 year old Arshdeep Singh

IHIT identifies man killed in Langley shooting as 22 year old Arshdeep Singh
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) says that the incident occurred on January 27th, Tuesday night. The Langley RCMP responded to a call at 11:38 pm in the area of 207 Street and 53A Avenue.

IHIT identifies man killed in Langley shooting as 22 year old Arshdeep Singh

414 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

414 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
“Until the COVID-19 vaccines are available for all of us, let’s choose less and choose small. This is the path to get to the brighter days ahead.”

414 COVID19 cases for Wednesday