Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Apr, 2021 05:16 PM
  • Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

More than 1,000 dockworkers at the Port of Montreal began a strike Monday morning — a move that the port authority says will mean a total shutdown of all port operations.

The Montreal Port Authority says the strike began effective at 7 a.m. ET.

The workers, who have been without a contract since December 2018, have been on an overtime strike since April 17 and have refused to work weekends since April 18.

The strike follows comments Sunday by federal Labour Minister Filomena Tassi who said Ottawa has filed notice that it will table back-to-work legislation in the coming days if an agreement is not reached.

Tassi said the government would prefer not to intervene but may have no choice given what she called the significant and potentially long-lasting harm to the economy caused by a work stoppage.

The Port of Montreal saw a dip in activity as early as last month, as customers sought other ports to export and import from ahead of the strike.

Several employers groups have raised concerns about the impact of the strike on business.

"The Port of Montreal is critical to the economic well-being of Canadians across the country, particularly those in Quebec and Eastern Canada," said Tassi in a statement on Twitter.

"The government must act when all other efforts have been exhausted and a work stoppage is causing significant economic harm to Canadians."

Another work stoppage took place last year in August, when the union representing the dock workers enacted a 10-day strike.

MORE National ARTICLES

Business grant to help with online sales: minister

Business grant to help with online sales: minister
The grants will provide business owners with up to $7,500 each and comes from the $1.5-billion Stronger BC funding announced in September.

Business grant to help with online sales: minister

Delayed vaccine could lead to variants: experts

Delayed vaccine could lead to variants: experts
Veillette, who is a member of the federal government's COVID-19 vaccine task force, said there's a concern that the immunity provided by one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines "is not as strong as you would get with two doses."

Delayed vaccine could lead to variants: experts

City of Surrey wants your input on the Planned New Park in South Newton

City of Surrey wants your input on the Planned New Park in South Newton
The process will include planning the protection, design, development and operation of the future park.

City of Surrey wants your input on the Planned New Park in South Newton

Chilliwack RCMP search nets illegal drugs and firearms

Chilliwack RCMP search nets illegal drugs and firearms
Police arrested and later released two people. Officers seized bulk quantities of drugs believed to be fentanyl, heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine.

Chilliwack RCMP search nets illegal drugs and firearms

New COVID19 outbreak declared at Burnaby General Hospital

New COVID19 outbreak declared at Burnaby General Hospital
Unfortunately, a new outbreak has been declared on one Medicine unit. Nine patients in the unit have tested positive for COVID-19.

New COVID19 outbreak declared at Burnaby General Hospital

Vancouver Police arrest two men who attacked elderly West Side woman Usha Singh

Vancouver Police arrest two men who attacked elderly West Side woman Usha Singh
VPD began investigating Sunday morning, after 78-year-old Usha Singh was found badly injured inside her home near Queen Elizabeth Park. Singh was taken to hospital with grave injuries, but died Tuesday.

Vancouver Police arrest two men who attacked elderly West Side woman Usha Singh