Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Apr, 2021 05:16 PM
  • Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

More than 1,000 dockworkers at the Port of Montreal began a strike Monday morning — a move that the port authority says will mean a total shutdown of all port operations.

The Montreal Port Authority says the strike began effective at 7 a.m. ET.

The workers, who have been without a contract since December 2018, have been on an overtime strike since April 17 and have refused to work weekends since April 18.

The strike follows comments Sunday by federal Labour Minister Filomena Tassi who said Ottawa has filed notice that it will table back-to-work legislation in the coming days if an agreement is not reached.

Tassi said the government would prefer not to intervene but may have no choice given what she called the significant and potentially long-lasting harm to the economy caused by a work stoppage.

The Port of Montreal saw a dip in activity as early as last month, as customers sought other ports to export and import from ahead of the strike.

Several employers groups have raised concerns about the impact of the strike on business.

"The Port of Montreal is critical to the economic well-being of Canadians across the country, particularly those in Quebec and Eastern Canada," said Tassi in a statement on Twitter.

"The government must act when all other efforts have been exhausted and a work stoppage is causing significant economic harm to Canadians."

Another work stoppage took place last year in August, when the union representing the dock workers enacted a 10-day strike.

MORE National ARTICLES

Demand up, supply down in Vancouver home sales

Demand up, supply down in Vancouver home sales
The board reports 2,389 home sales in the region last month, which was a 22.8 per cent decrease from the red-hot housing market in December.

Demand up, supply down in Vancouver home sales

One dead, two hurt in B.C. mining accident

One dead, two hurt in B.C. mining accident
A statement from Toronto-based New Gold says the three workers at the New Afton gold and copper mine were hit by a flow of mud debris early Tuesday.

One dead, two hurt in B.C. mining accident

Help identify suspect linked to four separate robberies: Surrey RCMP

Help identify suspect linked to four separate robberies: Surrey RCMP
The Surrey RCMP Robbery Unit has taken conduct of what appears to be a string of robberies with similar circumstances that took place on January 18, 19, 23, and 27, 2021.

Help identify suspect linked to four separate robberies: Surrey RCMP

Vancouver Police appeals for information in Downtown EastSide sexual assault

Vancouver Police appeals for information in Downtown EastSide sexual assault
Police are asking witnesses or people with information about the assault to contact investigators.

Vancouver Police appeals for information in Downtown EastSide sexual assault

Trudeau highlights risk of COVID-19 variants

Trudeau highlights risk of COVID-19 variants
The move is one of several measures meant to choke off entry of the virus into Canada, but comes after case numbers of more transmissible variants have begun to rise.

Trudeau highlights risk of COVID-19 variants

Novavax could produce COVID-19 vaccine in Canada

Novavax could produce COVID-19 vaccine in Canada
"This is a major step forward to get vaccines made in Canada, for Canadians," Trudeau said.

Novavax could produce COVID-19 vaccine in Canada