Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Apr, 2021 05:16 PM
  • Montreal dockworkers begin strike at port

More than 1,000 dockworkers at the Port of Montreal began a strike Monday morning — a move that the port authority says will mean a total shutdown of all port operations.

The Montreal Port Authority says the strike began effective at 7 a.m. ET.

The workers, who have been without a contract since December 2018, have been on an overtime strike since April 17 and have refused to work weekends since April 18.

The strike follows comments Sunday by federal Labour Minister Filomena Tassi who said Ottawa has filed notice that it will table back-to-work legislation in the coming days if an agreement is not reached.

Tassi said the government would prefer not to intervene but may have no choice given what she called the significant and potentially long-lasting harm to the economy caused by a work stoppage.

The Port of Montreal saw a dip in activity as early as last month, as customers sought other ports to export and import from ahead of the strike.

Several employers groups have raised concerns about the impact of the strike on business.

"The Port of Montreal is critical to the economic well-being of Canadians across the country, particularly those in Quebec and Eastern Canada," said Tassi in a statement on Twitter.

"The government must act when all other efforts have been exhausted and a work stoppage is causing significant economic harm to Canadians."

Another work stoppage took place last year in August, when the union representing the dock workers enacted a 10-day strike.

MORE National ARTICLES

Poll finds widespread support for new travel rules

Poll finds widespread support for new travel rules
The urge for tougher travel rules comes as Canadians find their mental health on the wane, with just 29 per cent of survey respondents rating it as very good or excellent, the lowest since the pandemic began.

Poll finds widespread support for new travel rules

Canadian groundhogs call for early spring

Canadian groundhogs call for early spring
At exactly 8 a.m. local time, the door to Sam's enclosure was opened, but the pudgy rodent refused to come out at first.

Canadian groundhogs call for early spring

Strike notice passes but Canada Line still rolling

Strike notice passes but Canada Line still rolling
Talks between unionized workers on Canada Line and system operator Protrans, a subsidiary of SNC-Lavalin, are set to continue with the help of a mediator.

Strike notice passes but Canada Line still rolling

1158 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1158 COVID19 cases over 3 days
British Columbia has had 4 South African variant cases, 3 unlinked and 1 linked. Three were in Coastal. There have been 14 UK Variant cases in BC, including 7 new cases. Eight of the cases are in Fraser, 7 travel related.

1158 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Trudeau chats with Vice-President Kamala Harris

Trudeau chats with Vice-President Kamala Harris
The Prime Minister's Office says the two discussed the COVID-19 pandemic, Canada-U. S. relations and Harris's time as a high schooler in Montreal.

Trudeau chats with Vice-President Kamala Harris

Chargers approved against man who allegedly chased people with hunting knife

Chargers approved against man who allegedly chased people with hunting knife
The pair were walking along 8th Street and allegedly a man they didn’t know began chasing them with a large knife.

Chargers approved against man who allegedly chased people with hunting knife