Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Montreal police, prosecutors launch project to better address strangulation cases

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2024 10:52 AM
  • Montreal police, prosecutors launch project to better address strangulation cases

Montreal police and the Quebec prosecutor's office are launching a pilot project to help authorities better address domestic violence-related strangulations.

Police say strangulation deserves particular attention because a person who is assaulted in that way by their partner is at far greater risk of being killed by them in the future.

They say the pilot project will focus on teaching police and prosecutors how to better identify and respond to domestic violence cases in which strangulation is a factor.

Officers will get specific training, while victims will be offered more support and given information about the different symptoms they might experience in the coming hours and days.

The prosecutor's office says the project will help authorities do a better job at gathering evidence in strangulation cases to ensure that perpetrators can be charged.

Police say in a news release that the project is based off similar initiatives in the United States and will be deployed in eastern Montreal for an 18-month period.

MORE National ARTICLES

Burnaby massage therapist accused of sexual misconduct

Burnaby massage therapist accused of sexual misconduct
The College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia says a massage therapist in Burnaby who's been accused of sexual misconduct cannot have female clients while he's being investigated. It comes after a patient complained that the therapist inappropriately touched them in April.

Burnaby massage therapist accused of sexual misconduct

18 year old assaulted with a baseball bat

18 year old assaulted with a baseball bat
Witnesses told police, the suspect was seen approaching the victim wearing a mask and carrying a baseball bat. The suspect then allegedly hit the victim with the bat and kicked him before fleeing on foot with a group of 4-5 youths. Bystanders provided first aid to the 18-year man until such time that emergency first responders arrived on scene.

18 year old assaulted with a baseball bat

B.C. launches $20M flood mitigation fund for the Fraser Valley

B.C. launches $20M flood mitigation fund for the Fraser Valley
A statement from the Agriculture Ministry says the funding will be used for community-scale projects that protect and restore local ecosystems and wetlands, such as culvert improvements, embankment stabilization and crop diversification.

B.C. launches $20M flood mitigation fund for the Fraser Valley

Search for missing submersible near Titanic wreck site a race against time

Search for missing submersible near Titanic wreck site a race against time
The search, in an area about 700 kilometres south of St. John’s, N.L., is in a race against time because the 6.4-metre vessel had a 96-hour oxygen supply when it submerged on Sunday morning, according to an adviser for owner OceanGate Expeditions.

Search for missing submersible near Titanic wreck site a race against time

4 fined $17K for fisheries violations

4 fined $17K for fisheries violations
A Victoria provincial court judge found the violations happened off Galiano Island in May of last year when officers checked a nearly seven-metre vessel, discovering a cache of hidden rock fish -- including three Yelloweye rock fish, which are illegal to retain.  

4 fined $17K for fisheries violations

2 hurt in Prince George home invasion

2 hurt in Prince George home invasion
R-C-M-P say it happened just after eight last night in a home in the city's Quinson neighbourhood, northwest of the downtown core. Investigators haven't said how many people might have been involved in the attack or how they were called to the home.

2 hurt in Prince George home invasion