Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Rain complicates flood predictions in B.C.

Rain complicates flood predictions in B.C.
Downpours also prompted flood warnings for the Blue and Quesnel river systems east of Williams Lake and a high streamflow advisory is now in place for the Upper Fraser River and its tributaries from Prince George to Valemount.

Rain complicates flood predictions in B.C.

22 year old Dedaar Jhooty charged with manslaughter in Whistler stabbing

22 year old Dedaar Jhooty charged with manslaughter in Whistler stabbing
First responders arrived and learned that the victim, 26-year-old Henry Garcia Molina, had died of his injuries. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) was called to investigate. On June 23, 2022, a charge of manslaughter was laid by the BC Prosecution Service against Dedaar Jhooty for his alleged involvement.  

22 year old Dedaar Jhooty charged with manslaughter in Whistler stabbing

Vancouver approves Broadway redevelopment

Vancouver approves Broadway redevelopment
Councillors voted seven to four in support of the plan to add up to 30,000 homes along a six-kilometre, 16-block wide strip serving Vancouver General Hospital, City Hall and hundreds of businesses, shops, restaurants and schools.

Vancouver approves Broadway redevelopment

Province stops museum plan, will consult public on museum’s future

Province stops museum plan, will consult public on museum’s future
Public engagement will seek input on what British Columbians want to see in a modernized museum experience. It will also address structural and safety issues identified with the current buildings.

Province stops museum plan, will consult public on museum’s future

Liberals say faith in RCMP commissioner strong

Liberals say faith in RCMP commissioner strong
A report published Tuesday by the inquiry investigating the tragedy includes notes from an RCMP superintendent alleging Lucki said she had promised Blair and the Prime Minister's Office that information on the guns used by the shooter would be released as it affected pending gun control legislation.    

Liberals say faith in RCMP commissioner strong

Ex-employees sue Musk-run Tesla for mass layoffs

Ex-employees sue Musk-run Tesla for mass layoffs
The world's richest man said that the electric car-maker will cut salaries by 10 per cent over the next three months, as the company navigates the global macro-economic conditions. This would result in reducing Tesla's total headcount by roughly 3.5 per cent.

Ex-employees sue Musk-run Tesla for mass layoffs