Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trevali recovers final two bodies in mine

Trevali recovers final two bodies in mine
The Vancouver-based miner says it is working alongside Burkinabe authorities is it co-ordinates the dewatering and rehabilitation of the mine. The flooding event is under investigation by the company and government authorities.

Trevali recovers final two bodies in mine

22 year old motorcyclist dead after a single vehicle collision in Burnaby

22 year old motorcyclist dead after a single vehicle collision in Burnaby
The motorcycle was travelling southbound on Willingdon Avenue at the time of the crash, which is believed to have occurred at approximately 1:55 a.m. A 22-year-old motorcyclist was pronounced dead on scene. 

22 year old motorcyclist dead after a single vehicle collision in Burnaby

Vancouver police investigate unprovoked machete attack – one of several violent incidents over Father's Day weekend

Vancouver police investigate unprovoked machete attack – one of several violent incidents over Father's Day weekend
A 23-year-old man from Surrey was leaving a concert at Rogers Arena around 11:30 p.m. Sunday when one of the men was confronted by a group of strangers and was stabbed in the abdomen. The victim was taken to hospital and is expected to survive. The suspects fled and have not been located.

Vancouver police investigate unprovoked machete attack – one of several violent incidents over Father's Day weekend

The long goodbye to some single-use plastics

The long goodbye to some single-use plastics
Federal data show in 2019, 15.5 billion plastic grocery bags, 4.5 billion pieces of plastic cutlery, three billion stir sticks, 5.8 billion straws, 183 million six-pack rings and 805 million takeout containers were sold in Canada.    

The long goodbye to some single-use plastics

Rescue robot research at University of Calgary

Rescue robot research at University of Calgary
Ramirez-Serrano has been working on the robot for the last seven years. He hopes it will become a tool to help first responders with disasters such as the collapse of a building.

Rescue robot research at University of Calgary

Canada investing $4.9B in North American defence

Canada investing $4.9B in North American defence
Anand says the funding is the first of an estimated $40 billion that will be spent over the next 20 years to upgrade the joint U.S.-Canadian early warning system known as Norad and purchase other military assets to protect the continent.

Canada investing $4.9B in North American defence