Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

'Unprecedented' security for Canada Day: OPS

'Unprecedented' security for Canada Day: OPS
Canadian Heritage and police held a technical briefing Friday on their plans for July 1. Media were only allowed to participate on the condition that officials not be named.

'Unprecedented' security for Canada Day: OPS

Man, 92, charged in residential school case

Man, 92, charged in residential school case
Officers interacted with more than 700 people across North America throughout the investigation and obtained 75 victim and witness statements, the Mounties said in a statement, adding more than 80 investigators were involved.

Man, 92, charged in residential school case

Vax decision for youngest kids expected in weeks

Vax decision for youngest kids expected in weeks
Canada has yet to authorize a vaccine for kids under five, and Moderna's shot is the only one that's been submitted for regulatory review. A Pfizer Canada spokeswoman says in an email that the company is making progress on its submission, but couldn't provide a timeline on when it would be filed.

Vax decision for youngest kids expected in weeks

Search for Kelowna woman paused by safety concerns

Search for Kelowna woman paused by safety concerns
Kelowna RCMP say 31-year-old Chelsea Cardno was last seen on Tuesday as she left with her German shepherd dog, J.J., for a walk through the Mission Greenway, bordering Mission Creek. Cardno's vehicle was found in that area later that day and a full scale search began.

Search for Kelowna woman paused by safety concerns

Male allegedly punched in an unprovoked attack, Burnaby RCMP seeking witnesses

Male allegedly punched in an unprovoked attack, Burnaby RCMP seeking witnesses
On Tuesday, June 14, 2022, a male suspect allegedly approached and punched a 33-year-old man in an unprovoked attack. The suspect then threatened to kill the victim before walking away. 

Male allegedly punched in an unprovoked attack, Burnaby RCMP seeking witnesses

Shooting in Whalley area lands one man in hospital

Shooting in Whalley area lands one man in hospital
A male suffering non life-threatening injuries was located and is currently receiving treatment at a local area hospital. The investigation is currently in the early stages.

Shooting in Whalley area lands one man in hospital