Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Telus buying LifeWorks in deal valued at $2.9B

Telus buying LifeWorks in deal valued at $2.9B
LifeWorks, formerly known as Morneau Shepell, helps companies with employee and family assistance plans, absence management, pension and benefits administration and retirement planning.

Telus buying LifeWorks in deal valued at $2.9B

Nearly two dozen students and staff contaminated by bear spray at East Vancouver high school.

Nearly two dozen students and staff contaminated by bear spray at East Vancouver high school.
Investigators believe two teenaged suspects, who do not attend Killarney, entered the school just after 9 a.m. and attempted to assault a male student. The suspects deployed bear spray then fled in a vehicle.    

Nearly two dozen students and staff contaminated by bear spray at East Vancouver high school.

Cost of B.C. flooding last year leaps to $675M

Cost of B.C. flooding last year leaps to $675M
The previous estimate was $515 million in losses, but the bureau says in a statement that much of the increase is due to business claims in places where commercial insurance is more available.    

Cost of B.C. flooding last year leaps to $675M

MLA Jinny Sims sets sights on Surrey mayor's chair

MLA Jinny Sims sets sights on Surrey mayor's chair
Sims made it official Wednesday at an event with the newly formed municipal party Surrey Forward and the party's four declared council candidates, Ramon Bandong, Jim Bennett, June Liu and Theresa Pidcock.    

MLA Jinny Sims sets sights on Surrey mayor's chair

Homeless man thrown rocks at in area of Park Royal Mall

Homeless man thrown rocks at in area of Park Royal Mall
The male yelled at the victim and threw several large rocks which resulted in lacerations to the victim’s head and hand. The suspect was not known to the victim and the motive behind the Assault is also unclear.

Homeless man thrown rocks at in area of Park Royal Mall

Retired general charged with sexual assault

Retired general charged with sexual assault
Trudeau says military police opted to lay the charges after civilian counterparts decided not to accept the case because the investigation was nearly finished.    

Retired general charged with sexual assault