Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP cash over $12K, drugs, and a loaded gun from residence, arrest 9

Surrey RCMP cash over $12K, drugs, and a loaded gun from residence, arrest 9
The Surrey RCMP Community Response Unit executed a search warrant on a residence located in the 13700-block Grosvenor Road. The residence was identified by officers who were conducting proactive enforcement in North Surrey area.

Surrey RCMP cash over $12K, drugs, and a loaded gun from residence, arrest 9

Indo-Pacific framework: 'More meat on the bones'

Indo-Pacific framework: 'More meat on the bones'
The latest is the Americas Partnership for Economic Prosperity, which Biden announced last week as he kicked off the Summit of the Americas, where leaders from 21 countries across the Western Hemisphere gathered, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Indo-Pacific framework: 'More meat on the bones'

Time for ArriveCan to depart: border mayors, MP

Time for ArriveCan to depart: border mayors, MP
Canadian and foreign visitors are still required to use the app or an online portal to submit their vaccination information to the Canada Border Services Agency ahead of time.

Time for ArriveCan to depart: border mayors, MP

RCMP investigating fake bomb tip: Ottawa police

RCMP investigating fake bomb tip: Ottawa police
Interim Ottawa police chief Steve Bell shared that information in a letter to the city's police services board Tuesday night. Bell says in light of that investigation, Ottawa police is limited in what it can share about the circumstances around Saturday's incident, but adds it will work to give as much information as possible to "ensure transparency."

RCMP investigating fake bomb tip: Ottawa police

B.C. to release money laundering report

B.C. to release money laundering report
Nearly 200 witnesses testified, including former premier Christy Clark, current and former cabinet ministers, government and gaming industry officials, law enforcement officers and academics.

B.C. to release money laundering report

New flood evacuation alert in southern B.C.

New flood evacuation alert in southern B.C.
The District of Sparwood has declared the emergency and posted evacuation alerts for two mobile home parks and several properties along the Elk River after nearly 52 millimetres of rain deluged the community.

New flood evacuation alert in southern B.C.