Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds give $77M for new buildings in Lytton, B.C.

Feds give $77M for new buildings in Lytton, B.C.
Harjit Sajjan, the minister of International Development & the Vancouver MP says $64 million will be used to help rebuild public buildings, $6 million has been set aside for residents to bring their homes up to the same standards, while small- and medium-sized businesses will get $7.2 million to help them restart.

Feds give $77M for new buildings in Lytton, B.C.

Dutch officer testifies at B.C. extortion trial

Dutch officer testifies at B.C. extortion trial
Erik Verstraten told the B.C. Supreme Court trial for Aydin Coban that he found 10,000 euros in cash and a passport belonging to the man during the search of the home near the Dutch city of Tilburg, in January 2014.

Dutch officer testifies at B.C. extortion trial

Four ride-hail operators deemed 'unlicensed, unsafe, and unwelcome' and fined nearly $1800

Four ride-hail operators deemed 'unlicensed, unsafe,  and unwelcome' and fined nearly $1800
As well, each of the operators received a Notice and Order requiring an immediate inspection of their vehicle. Officers removed (towed) one of the vehicles from the scene.

Four ride-hail operators deemed 'unlicensed, unsafe, and unwelcome' and fined nearly $1800

Training for Canadian students on use of naloxone

Training for Canadian students on use of naloxone
The Public Health Agency of Canada reported more than 5,386 deaths related to opioids between January and September 2021. The majority of the deaths — 94 per cent — were accidental.

Training for Canadian students on use of naloxone

Federal COVID-19 vaccine mandates to end: sources

Federal COVID-19 vaccine mandates to end: sources
The new rules are expected to come into effect on June 20, though the requirements for foreign nationals coming to Canada will not change, say two government sources close to the decision, who were granted anonymity to speak about matters they were not authorized to discuss publicly.

Federal COVID-19 vaccine mandates to end: sources

Hill false bomb tippers should be prosecuted: WSO

Hill false bomb tippers should be prosecuted: WSO
Police have not answered questions about the two men's account of events and released few details about the “potential threat” that prompted an evacuation of Parliament and closure of surrounding streets for several hours on Saturday.

Hill false bomb tippers should be prosecuted: WSO