Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2023 05:09 PM
  • MPs plan to probe Rogers-Shaw deal a second time

OTTAWA - The House of Commons industry and technology committee is planning to initiate another study of the proposed Rogers-Shaw merger.

Conservative MP Rick Perkins and New Democrat MP Brian Masse confirmed to The Canadian Press that the committee plans to meet on Jan. 25 to review the proposed $26 billion transaction.

On Jan. 24, the Federal Court of Appeal will hear the Competition Bureau's appeal of a decision that cleared the way for Rogers Communication Inc.'s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

Masse told The Canadian Press that all political parties agreed to call the committee meeting.

Members of Parliament on the committee had previously reviewed the prospective merger in March and recommended against the transaction.

Now, they will conduct a second investigation into the deal, which has since changed to include the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd.

Perkins said in an interview that Parliament should have the opportunity to review the deal as it now stands, since the study conducted in March was of a previous version of the proposed transaction.

To go ahead, the deal also still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

And while that decision lies in the hands of Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, Perkins said the committee can provide "some useful perspective."

"We can look at this from a much broader perspective of whether or not we think competition is harmed at all by particular deal," he said.

Champagne has previously said he would not allow Rogers to acquire all of Shaw's wireless licences, suggesting the final approval for the merger would require concessions including the sale of Freedom.

The minister has also indicated he will make a decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

MORE National ARTICLES

Massey Tunnel morning traffic disruptions result in four arrests

Massey Tunnel morning traffic disruptions result in four arrests
Shortly before 7:30 a.m. on Monday June 13, 2022, frontline Richmond RCMP officers responded to the Massey Tunnel after multiple reports of people on foot blocking traffic in both north and south directions. Three people were found sitting on Highway 99 while a fourth person was perched on a platform ladder.

Massey Tunnel morning traffic disruptions result in four arrests

Man sent to hospital after stabbed by a sword

Man sent to hospital after stabbed by a sword
Victim taken to hospital and expected to recover. The suspect is a 46-year-old man who is known to police.

Man sent to hospital after stabbed by a sword

Blood donations lowest in a decade since COVID-19

Blood donations lowest in a decade since COVID-19
The service oversees the inventory from which blood and blood products are regularly shifted around the country to meet hospital and patient needs. About 400,000 Canadians give blood on a regular basis.

Blood donations lowest in a decade since COVID-19

Justin Trudeau tests positive for COVID-19 again

Justin Trudeau tests positive for COVID-19 again
Trudeau said he will be following public health guidelines and isolating. He was scheduled to appear at a garden party for Liberal party donors in Ottawa on Monday evening.    

Justin Trudeau tests positive for COVID-19 again

Random airport COVID tests paused for vaccinated

Random airport COVID tests paused for vaccinated
The government previously said current public health measures would remain in place until the end of June, but has been facing mounting pressure from industry and opposition to improve the chaotic situation playing out in Canada's airports.

Random airport COVID tests paused for vaccinated

Lytton, B.C., rebuild likely to begin in the fall

Lytton, B.C., rebuild likely to begin in the fall
That would be 15 months after an out-of-control wildfire swept through and burned 90 per cent of the community. Both Mike Farnworth and federal Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair praised the response of both levels of government as quick and expeditious.

Lytton, B.C., rebuild likely to begin in the fall