Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Multiple charges as 27-year-old accused in crash that killed two B.C. teens

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Jul, 2023 11:10 AM
  • Multiple charges as 27-year-old accused in crash that killed two B.C. teens

Charges have been laid against a 27-year-old man accused of causing a crash last July that killed two Vancouver-area teenagers.

A statement from Metro Vancouver Transit Police says Cory Brown faces two counts of criminal negligence causing death, one count of driving while disqualified and one count of flight from police.

He remains in custody and is expected to return to court on July 19.

The statement says members of the transit police were returning to headquarters in New Westminster on July 26, 2022, when they attempted to pull over a person suspected of driving erratically.

Police say the suspect sped off and his vehicle collided in a Burnaby intersection with a car carrying an 18-year-old from Vancouver and a 17-year-old from Burnaby.

Police and bystanders tried unsuccessfully to save the two teens while the statement says the two people in the suspect's car ran away before they were picked up a short time later.

MORE National ARTICLES

West Vancouver woman in her 30s arrested for Fraud over $5000

West Vancouver woman in her 30s arrested for Fraud over $5000
On January 11th, a West Vancouver woman in her 30s was arrested by investigators for Fraud over $5000. Its is alleged the employee was hired by a local business in North Vancouver. During her employment from June to September 2021, it is alleged she made several large refunds to her personal credit cards.

West Vancouver woman in her 30s arrested for Fraud over $5000

Search still on for residential school records

Search still on for residential school records
Without records documenting the genocide of Indigenous Peoples, special interlocutor Kimberly Murray said, "deniers will continue to deny" and future generations could be led to forget. Survivors of the residential institutions have a "right to know," Murray told a national gathering on unmarked burials in Vancouver on Tuesday.    

Search still on for residential school records

Newborn baby among three killed in B.C. road crash

Newborn baby among three killed in B.C. road crash
Clark says a 26-year-old man, a 25-year-old woman and an eight-day-old infant were killed in the passenger vehicle, while a two-year-old child survived and is expected to recover from their injuries. The only person in the pickup was treated for minor injuries at the scene.

Newborn baby among three killed in B.C. road crash

President of ICBC takes over at BC Ferries

President of ICBC takes over at BC Ferries
The insurance corporation says in a news release that Nicolas Jimenez has been with them for almost 20 years. Board chair Catherine Holt says Jimenez has made many contributions during his tenure, including the “remarkable transformation” of the public auto insurer.

President of ICBC takes over at BC Ferries

$90M earmarked by B.C. for forest-dependent areas

$90M earmarked by B.C. for forest-dependent areas
The British Columbia government is promising up to $90 million over three years to support new industrial and manufacturing projects in communities hurt by the downturn in the forestry industry. Premier David Eby made the announcement in Prince George, where Canfor Pulp Products said last week it was closing the pulp line at its mill, eliminating 300 jobs by the end of the year.

$90M earmarked by B.C. for forest-dependent areas

Illegal gaming house dismantled in Richmond included over $14K in currency, gambling ledgers, and an automated Mahjong table

Illegal gaming house dismantled in Richmond included over $14K in currency, gambling ledgers, and an automated Mahjong table
On December 1st, 2022, a search warrant was executed on a suspected gaming house inside of a residential home in the 6000 block of Skaha Crescent, Richmond. Investigators also learned that one of the caretakers of the house and one of the card dealers were non-Canadian citizens and subject to deportation.  

Illegal gaming house dismantled in Richmond included over $14K in currency, gambling ledgers, and an automated Mahjong table