Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Officials urge calm as B.C. drought forces cuts

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Oct, 2022 09:47 AM
  • Officials urge calm as B.C. drought forces cuts

SECHELT, B.C. - Some businesses and amenities on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast have been told to stop using all treated drinking water later today due to severe drought, but officials say there's no need to panic.

The Sunshine Coast Regional District, District of Sechelt and shishalh Nation have declared a state of local emergency that takes effect Tuesday at midnight as the system that supplies water to about 90 per cent of the homes and businesses in the Sechelt area is at "imminent risk" of running dry.

The regional district says the Sechelt Aquatic Centre will be closed and a water-bottling business, several breweries and cideries and a number of concrete, asphalt and gravel businesses are also among the non-essential commercial water users covered by the order.

It says water must be saved for residents, the local hospital and fire protection, but the district's general manager of infrastructure services says no one should panic.

Remko Rosenboom says there is enough water in the Edwards Lake and Chapman Creek system to last until mid-November and work could begin within days to upgrade the siphons taking water from the deepest points of the lake, potentially adding several more weeks of water reserves.

The Sechelt area usually records about 200 millimetres of rain between July and October, but has received less than 10, pushing the entire Sunshine Coast and several other B.C. regions to Level 5 drought conditions, the most severe on the province's scale.

"We are not in a panic situation, yet," said Rosenboom.

"This state of emergency has been declared to allow us to restrict the uses (by non-essential commercial water users) and it's all with intent to ensure we are not getting into a state where we have to panic," he says.

Rosenboom expects work will start next week on upgrades to the siphon system pulling water from the deepest parts of the Edwards Lake and Chapman Creek systems and he says the province has been approached about other solutions.

The regional district has asked for permission to reduce flows in Chapman Creek, something Rosenboom says can be done without harming fish.

The district is still waiting for a response.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada pushed to waive COVID-19 vaccine patents

Canada pushed to waive COVID-19 vaccine patents
Dr. Madhukar Pai, a Canada Research Chair in epidemiology and global health at McGill University, told the House of Commons foreign affairs committee today he doesn't think rich countries like Canada have learned a thing from the first two years of the pandemic. 

Canada pushed to waive COVID-19 vaccine patents

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP
Const. Richard Johns says 28-year-old Rykel Frank and 29-year-old Mitchell Frank will go before a judge this week following their arrest on Friday. 6 year-old Dontay Lucas was found dead in a home in Port Alberni in March 2018.

Tragic' investigation into B.C. boy's death: RCMP

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement
The new Surrey Langley Skytrain public engagement begins Monday, May 9, 2022, and runs until June 9. Open houses for members of the public are scheduled for May 25 in Surrey and for May 31 in Langley. Surrey Langley SkyTrain is currently scheduled for completion in late 2028, two years earlier than first estimated.

Province launches Surrey Langley SkyTrain engagement

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season
U.S. border officials also seem to be seeing more people trying to cross in the opposite direction. 6 Indian nationals were rescued from a boat sinking on the St. Regis River in northern New York late last month, part of what court documents allege was a human smuggling operation.

Officials brace for busy border-crossing season

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed
While the investigation is still in the early stages, investigators confirm one person is in custody at this point. Although one person has been arrested, police continue to treat this investigation as active and ongoing to determine the circumstances, states Corporal Paige Kuz, Coquitlam RCMP Media Relations Officer.    

Male dies in Coquitlam after stabbing, IHIT deployed

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend
VPD officers were called to Crab Park around 10.20 a.m. Saturday for reports of one man being assaulted. Andrew Wadden, a 45-year-old Vancouver resident, was found by police in the park with life-threatening injuries.

Man assaulted and killed in Crab park over the weekend