Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ontario sees vaccine issues, AstraZeneca remains

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Apr, 2021 08:27 PM
  • Ontario sees vaccine issues, AstraZeneca remains

Ontario blamed a vaccine shortage in some areas on a delayed shipment Wednesday as Ottawa pledged to keep pumping out Oxford-AstraZeneca shots following a safety review that found the product's benefits far outweigh its rare risks.

Some immunization clinics in Ontario were forced to close their doors or cancel appointments due to what Premier Doug Ford said was a thrice-delayed shipment of the Moderna shot.

"We were expecting the shipments to come in, but unfortunately we never ended up getting them," Ford said. "...You can't plan properly if you don't know the flow of the product coming in through your production lines."

The Scarborough Health Network in Toronto closed two immunization clinics Wednesday, which had been vaccinating area residents over the age of 50, all Indigenous adults and health-care workers. It said it plans to reopen the clinics when a new shipment of vaccines arrives on Monday.

Toronto's University Health Network, meanwhile, said it paused registration for appointments for residents over age 18 who qualify for vaccination based on certain hot-spot postal codes, noting that more than 21,000 people had signed up for a shot.

Two other Toronto hospitals – North York General and Michael Garron Hospital – said they were also temporarily closing clinics because of supply issues.

Ontario has received a total of 4,506,495 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine so far, and administered 3,310,157 doses – or 73.45 per cent of the supply.

Officials in Toronto insisted the city was not stockpiling vaccines, saying the only shots sitting in freezers are ones that are scheduled to be administered.

"Fundamentally what we have here is an issue of supply," said Dr. Eileen de Villa, the city's medical officer of health. "We are all suffering as a result of a delay in arrival of vaccine."

Public health officials said city-run mass immunization clinics don't have the same supply issues, because they are getting vaccines distributed by the city – primarily Pfizer-BioNTech shots – whereas the hospital networks get their product – mostly Moderna – directly from the province.

The federal government, meanwhile, said Wednesday that it will continue offering the Oxford-AstraZeneca shot following a review of safety data.

The agency said the benefits of the shots far outweigh the risks posed by a new and extremely rare blood clotting condition that may be linked to the product.

Canada reported its first-ever case of a blood clot in a patient who received the AstraZeneca vaccine on Tuesday.

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization is reviewing the latest information and will decide if it needs to change its recommendation that the vaccine not be used on anyone under the age of 55.

Contagious variants of COVID-19 have lent more urgency to the vaccine rollout, with numerous provinces managing major outbreaks.

Ontario logged 4,156 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, along with 28 more deaths linked to the virus. The numbers pushed the province's seven-day rolling average to just above 4,000 daily cases.

The pandemic is also continuing to wreak havoc on Ontario's hospitals, with the province's health minister saying there are 642 COVID-19 patients in intensive care units.

Quebec's hospital system is also being strained due to the novel coronavirus, with 660 COVID-19 patients hospitalized. Of those, 152 are in intensive care, said Health Minister Christian Dube.

The pressure on the system has forced some hospitals to delay medical procedures, he said. That makes it even more critical for people to follow public health measures, Dube said.

Quebec counted 1,559 new cases of COVID-19 and seven more deaths on Wednesday.

Farther east, New Brunswick added 16 new cases of COVID-19, mostly in the hard-hit Edmundston area, which was placed in full lockdown last weekend. The province now has 141 active cases of the virus – the most in Atlantic Canada.

Newfoundland and Labrador recorded three more cases of the virus, all of which the province said are related to travel.

Nova Scotia reported two new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday for a total of 42 active cases.

In the North, Yukon diagnosed one new case of COVID-19 – the second this week, and 76th since the start of the pandemic. The territory said the cases reported this month are linked to the P.1 variant of COVID-19, which first emerged in Brazil.

MORE National ARTICLES

Amazon workers to self isolate after COVID19 outbreak in Brampton

Amazon workers to self isolate after COVID19 outbreak in Brampton
The health unit says all shifts will be suspended as the workers self-isolate for two weeks starting tomorrow as everyone at the site might have had high-risk exposure to COVID-19.

Amazon workers to self isolate after COVID19 outbreak in Brampton

Abbotsford Police need public's help in finding missing person Chamkaur Singh Brar

Abbotsford Police need public's help in finding missing person Chamkaur Singh Brar
Brar is known to live a transient lifestyle in the Fraser Valley area, specifically between Abbotsford and Langley. Brar is a 47-year-old man, standing 5 ft 7, 132 lbs, thin build, brown eyes and black hair; there is no clothing description.

Abbotsford Police need public's help in finding missing person Chamkaur Singh Brar

Woman in wheelchair victimized

Woman in wheelchair victimized
The victim made her way to a nearby overdose prevention site, where she reported the assault to staff, who then called police. Police located the suspect and he was arrested. Charges related to the assault and the verbal comments have been recommended.

Woman in wheelchair victimized

Police watchdog investigates man's injuries

Police watchdog investigates man's injuries
RCMP say that when an officer arrived, a man allegedly pointed a firearm at her and threatened to shoot before escaping on foot to a nearby residence.    

Police watchdog investigates man's injuries

No need to lose sleep over shift to daylight saving time

No need to lose sleep over shift to daylight saving time
Don't forget to set your clocks an hour ahead, usually before bed Saturday night, to avoid being late for Sunday morning activities.    

No need to lose sleep over shift to daylight saving time

Expert says origins of pandemic could be known in few years

Expert says origins of pandemic could be known in few years
In a press briefing organized by the think-tank Chatham House in London, Peter Daszak estimated that collective scientific research might be able to pin down how animals carrying COVID-19 infected the first people in Wuhan identified last December.

Expert says origins of pandemic could be known in few years