Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Oshawa fire leaves four people unaccounted for

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Mar, 2021 04:55 PM
  • Oshawa fire leaves four people unaccounted for

Friends of an Oshawa, Ont., family said they feared for the worst Monday as four people remained unaccounted for following a fire that tore through several rowhouses.

Aaron Clague said his friend lived in one of the homes and managed to escape with his wife and their youngest son after the flames broke out in the early hours of the morning.

"He told the kids to follow them. They didn't get out," Clague said. "The assumption is the worst right now."

The wife and son were treated in hospital, but their condition is unknown, Clague said.

Sharon Powell, another family friend, said she came to the home after hearing about the blaze.

"All I could think of is the children and hoping they made it out," she said.

Authorities have not identified the four people who remain unaccounted for, and would not say whether any are children.

However, fire officials said they believe all those injured in the fire were from the same home.

In all, residents from seven homes have been displaced, they said.

Fire Chief Derrick Clark said the most damaged home had nine occupants, five of whom were sent to hospital for treatment. One remains in hospital but the others have since been discharged, he said.

"We've got four residents unaccounted for and, you know, at this time it's not looking like it's going to have a positive end, but we're going to continue our investigations," he said.

Clark said the blaze had caused extensive structural damage, making the units too dangerous for fire crews to enter for the time being.

"The structure is extremely unstable right now. The fire was very, very intense, very difficult for our firefighters last night, and it's going to take us some while to get things sorted out," he said.

The chief said the injured were treated for smoke inhalation, burns and cuts.

He also noted that some residents of the units were being sheltered at a local hotel and were receiving aid from the Red Cross and social service agencies.

There was no immediate word on the cause of the blaze, but Clark said the Ontario Fire Marshal and Durham Regional Police were investigating as well.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Manitoba man pleads guilty in Rideau Hall incident

Manitoba man pleads guilty in Rideau Hall incident
Corey Hurren, a Manitoba military reservist and sausage-maker, faced 21 weapons charges and one of threatening the prime minister.

Manitoba man pleads guilty in Rideau Hall incident

AstraZeneca doses expected by end of June: Trudeau

AstraZeneca doses expected by end of June: Trudeau
Canada had previously said three million people could be vaccinated by the end of March and another 10 million by the end of June.

AstraZeneca doses expected by end of June: Trudeau

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines
Oxfam Canada and the ONE Campaign say it is wrong for the federal government to agree to accept almost 1.9 million doses of vaccine from the COVAX Facility by the end of June.

Aid groups blast Canada for taking COVAX vaccines

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift
Henry said they have concerns about the new and faster-spreading variants of COVID-19 in other jurisdictions and they don't want them to spread in B.C.

B.C. top doctor has hinted restrictions won't lift

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.
Sgt. Frank Jang says Kenworthy is known to police and the shooting was targeted, but it's not yet known if it was gang related.

Man killed in targeted shooting in Burnaby, B.C.

Military investigates after Vance allegations

Military investigates after Vance allegations
Vance could not be reached for comment on Thursday and the allegations against him could not be independently verified.

Military investigates after Vance allegations