Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Oshawa fire leaves four people unaccounted for

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Mar, 2021 04:55 PM
  • Oshawa fire leaves four people unaccounted for

Friends of an Oshawa, Ont., family said they feared for the worst Monday as four people remained unaccounted for following a fire that tore through several rowhouses.

Aaron Clague said his friend lived in one of the homes and managed to escape with his wife and their youngest son after the flames broke out in the early hours of the morning.

"He told the kids to follow them. They didn't get out," Clague said. "The assumption is the worst right now."

The wife and son were treated in hospital, but their condition is unknown, Clague said.

Sharon Powell, another family friend, said she came to the home after hearing about the blaze.

"All I could think of is the children and hoping they made it out," she said.

Authorities have not identified the four people who remain unaccounted for, and would not say whether any are children.

However, fire officials said they believe all those injured in the fire were from the same home.

In all, residents from seven homes have been displaced, they said.

Fire Chief Derrick Clark said the most damaged home had nine occupants, five of whom were sent to hospital for treatment. One remains in hospital but the others have since been discharged, he said.

"We've got four residents unaccounted for and, you know, at this time it's not looking like it's going to have a positive end, but we're going to continue our investigations," he said.

Clark said the blaze had caused extensive structural damage, making the units too dangerous for fire crews to enter for the time being.

"The structure is extremely unstable right now. The fire was very, very intense, very difficult for our firefighters last night, and it's going to take us some while to get things sorted out," he said.

The chief said the injured were treated for smoke inhalation, burns and cuts.

He also noted that some residents of the units were being sheltered at a local hotel and were receiving aid from the Red Cross and social service agencies.

There was no immediate word on the cause of the blaze, but Clark said the Ontario Fire Marshal and Durham Regional Police were investigating as well.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday
The province confirmed 465 new cases Thursday for a total of 69,245 since the pandemic began.

6 new COVID19 deaths on Thursday

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report
Turpel-Lafond, a former judge and ex-children's advocate, was appointed by Health Minister Adrian Dix last year to examine anti-Indigenous racism in health care. Her first report came out in November and made 24 recommendations.

Indigenous patients feel unsafe in B.C.: report

Toronto man Amritpal Dhillon arrested in fraud investigation

Toronto man Amritpal Dhillon arrested in fraud investigation
On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, Amritpal Dhillon, 53, of Mississauga, was arrested and charged with: 1. five counts of Fraud Over $5,000 and 2. five counts of Possession of Proceeds Over $5,000.

Toronto man Amritpal Dhillon arrested in fraud investigation

Government 'ill-suited' to run gaming: testimony

Government 'ill-suited' to run gaming: testimony
He says the potential for suspicious activities at gaming outlets has historically been present in B.C. and the government would be better suited as a regulator, while allowing other entities to run high-limit gaming.

Government 'ill-suited' to run gaming: testimony

Police cite large cheeseburger delivery in warrant

Police cite large cheeseburger delivery in warrant
The application to provincial court says complaints about repeated parties allegedly with dozens of people attending on some nights began on Jan. 2, but Vancouver police did not respond that day due to a large volume of calls.

Police cite large cheeseburger delivery in warrant

Cruise ship ban to Canada extended to 2022

Cruise ship ban to Canada extended to 2022
The ban until Feb. 28, 2022 applies to cruise ships carrying more than 100 people as well as pleasure crafts operating in the Arctic, except for those used by residents in the region.

Cruise ship ban to Canada extended to 2022