Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2022 04:48 PM
  • Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

OTTAWA - Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand says the Mounties only gave the names of people directly involved in Ottawa protests to banks to freeze their accounts

Arcand is appearing at the House of Commons finance committee today during its study of the government's use of the Emergencies Act to bring an end to blockades in Ottawa and several border crossings.

He says the RCMP did not send banks the names of any people who only donated to the Freedom Convoy or names of people involved in protests outside Ottawa.

Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Arcand says the intelligence about who was involved in the Ottawa protests was gathered by the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police and Ottawa police before the names were given to banks.

Arcand says the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters to leave and to discourage others to join the protests.

MORE National ARTICLES

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian
O'Toole also reopened the door to a Canadian boycott of next year's Winter Olympics in China, warning the Chinese government's recent actions show Canadians are not safe in the country.

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition
Today's arguments are expected to be the last before the actual extradition hearing in Meng's case begins in the B.C. Supreme Court later this week.

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There were 422 new cases from Friday to Saturday, marking the third day in a row that case counts topped 400. From Saturday to Sunday, there were 364 cases, while 293 cases were reported from Sunday to Monday.

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit
Starting Sept. 1, 2021, children 12 and under will be able to “Get on Board” any BC Transit or TransLink service for free as part of the provincial government’s commitment to efficient, reliable and affordable transit for families.    

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit

Liberals urged not to reinstate military commander

Liberals urged not to reinstate military commander
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan have not commented since the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service announced late Friday that they had decided there was not enough evidence to charge McDonald.

Liberals urged not to reinstate military commander

Meng's lawyers argue for stay in proceedings

Meng's lawyers argue for stay in proceedings
Defence lawyer Tony Paisana urged the B.C. Supreme Court judge in the case to consider the four alleged abuses of process as "branches of the same tree" and assess their cumulative impact. 

Meng's lawyers argue for stay in proceedings