Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pakistan As A Terrorist Safe Haven No Longer Acceptable: CIA

Darpan News Desk IANS, 08 Jan, 2018 12:00 AM
    CIA chief Mike Pompeo has said that Pakistan continues to provide safe havens to terrorists, which is not acceptable to America.
     
    US President Donald Trump has asked Pakistan to "cease" being a safe haven for terrorists that threaten the US, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director said yesterday.
     
    The US has suspended about USD 2 billion in security aid to Pakistan for failing to clamp down on the Afghan Taliban and the Haqqani terror network and dismantle their safe havens.
     
    The freezing of all security assistance to Pakistan comes after President Donald Trump in a New Year's day tweet accused Islamabad of giving nothing to the US but "lies and deceit" and providing "safe haven" to terrorists in return for USD 33 billion aid over the last 15 years.
     
    "We see the Pakistanis continuing to provide safe harbour, havens inside of Pakistan for terrorists who present risks to the United States of America," Mr Pompeo was quoted as saying by the CBS news.
     
     
     
    "We are doing our best to inform the Pakistanis that this is no longer going to be acceptable. So this conditioned aid, we have given them a chance. If they fix this problem, we are happy to continue to engage with them and be their partner. But if they don't, we're going to protect America," he said.
     
    The CIA director was responding to questions on the recent decision of the Trump administration to suspend approximately USD 2 billion in security aid to Pakistan.
     
    "The president has made very clear that he needs Pakistan to cease being a safe haven for terrorists that threaten the United States of America, end, period, full stop," Mr Pompeo said, reflecting the stand taken by President Trump.
     
    The security assistance can be restored if Pakistan takes decisive actions against terrorists

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Numbers Of Newcomers In 2018 Not Only Question For Immigration Plan

    Numbers Of Newcomers In 2018 Not Only Question For Immigration Plan
    Quebec — which sets its own immigration targets in connection with the federal government — is aiming to bring in some 51,000 people, a target that is unchanged from 2017.

    Numbers Of Newcomers In 2018 Not Only Question For Immigration Plan

    Halifax Councillor Apologizes For Using Word 'Negro' During Interview

    Halifax Councillor Apologizes For Using Word 'Negro' During Interview
    In an interview with a local TV station last week, Coun. Matt Whitman used the word "negro."

    Halifax Councillor Apologizes For Using Word 'Negro' During Interview

    Clark Kent Shows Up For House Duty As JUSTIN TRUDEAU Shows Off Latest Halloween Costume

    Clark Kent Shows Up For House Duty As JUSTIN TRUDEAU Shows Off Latest Halloween Costume
    The prime minister is disguised as Clark Kent as his Halloween alter ego for 2017.

    Clark Kent Shows Up For House Duty As JUSTIN TRUDEAU Shows Off Latest Halloween Costume

    Surrey Murder Victim Identified As 27-Yr-Old Randeep Kang Of Vancouver

    Surrey Murder Victim Identified As 27-Yr-Old Randeep Kang Of Vancouver
    Investigators have identified the victim of a deadly shooting in North Surrey Friday night.

    Surrey Murder Victim Identified As 27-Yr-Old Randeep Kang Of Vancouver

    Experienced Skydiver Injured After Parachute Fails In Salmon Arm, B.C.

    SALMON ARM , B.C. — An experienced skydiver has landed in hospital after he crashed during a jump in Salmon Arm, B.C.

    Experienced Skydiver Injured After Parachute Fails In Salmon Arm, B.C.

    Vancouver's Notorious Downtown Eastside Changes With Development

    Vancouver's Notorious Downtown Eastside Changes With Development
    Fraser Stuart looks at a chic, new tattoo shop metres away from the heart of Vancouver's notorious Downtown Eastside and shakes his head.

    Vancouver's Notorious Downtown Eastside Changes With Development