Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Panel named to advise on new governor general

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Mar, 2021 10:53 PM
  • Panel named to advise on new governor general

The Liberal government is re-establishing an advisory panel to help select the next governor general.

Six people are on the panel, which was announced Friday by Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc.

He'll co-chair the group with Janice Charette, a former high commissioner to the United Kingdom now filling in as clerk of the Privy Council while regular clerk Ian Shugart is treated for cancer.

The approach is much like one used by the previous Conservative government but dropped by the Liberals when it was their turn to pick a governor general.

Their choice — former astronaut Julie Payette — resigned earlier this year after a damning report about working conditions at Rideau Hall.

The newly struck advisory group is mandated to submit a shortlist of candidates for the prime minister’s consideration.

In addition to LeBlanc and Charette, the members are:

— Inuit leader Natan Obed

— Université de Montréal rector Daniel Jutras

— Former secretary to the governor general Judith LaRocque

— Interim Canada Post chair Suromitra Sanatani

"Members were selected for the diverse perspectives they bring to the work, as well as their expertise on issues relating to government and the Crown in Canada," LeBlanc's announcement said.

Canada needs a new governor general "on an expedited basis," LeBlanc said, so the panel will work as quickly as it can.

With the post of governor general vacant, Chief Justice Richard Wagner is carrying out key functions of the job as the "Administrator of the Government of Canada."

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey man dead in city's first homicide

Surrey man dead in city's first homicide
This investigation is being led by IHIT in partnership with the Surrey RCMP. 

Surrey man dead in city's first homicide

B.C. reduces most of COVID backlog in surgeries

B.C. reduces most of COVID backlog in surgeries
Adrian Dix says operating-room hours were added to clear a backlog of surgeries that were cancelled in mid-March to ensure beds were saved for patients with COVID-19.

B.C. reduces most of COVID backlog in surgeries

Stolen Rolls Royce Phantom found in White Rock

Stolen Rolls Royce Phantom found in White Rock
The Phantom was confirmed stolen from a break and enter to a residence in West Vancouver from February 2020.

Stolen Rolls Royce Phantom found in White Rock

Failed electric cables blamed for Vancouver blast

Failed electric cables blamed for Vancouver blast
A statement from the department says fire investigators worked with officials from utility companies to determine that a fire in a car 30 metres away from the blast was also caused by the electrical faults.

Failed electric cables blamed for Vancouver blast

Some ICUs, morgues full amid COVID-19 surge

Some ICUs, morgues full amid COVID-19 surge
Canada has now seen close to 625,000 cases of COVID-19, about 16,300 of them fatal. The bulk of cases has been in the country's two largest provinces, where conditions have been deteriorating rapidly in recent weeks.

Some ICUs, morgues full amid COVID-19 surge

Details en route for COVID-19 testing and travel

Details en route for COVID-19 testing and travel
Garneau announced last week that air travellers coming from abroad will have to show proof of negative test results, starting this Thursday at 12:01 a.m.

Details en route for COVID-19 testing and travel