Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parks Canada adapts to COVID-19 as camping starts

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 May, 2021 05:32 PM
  • Parks Canada adapts to COVID-19 as camping starts

Canada's environment minister has one main bit of advice as the country's second COVID-19 summer is about to begin: Camp carefully.

"We all recognize how important nature and green spaces have been to people's ability to weather this COVID storm," Jonathan Wilkinson said Tuesday. "That being said, we're still not through this pandemic."

Wilkinson said Parks Canada has brought in rules at its national parks that conform to public health orders. Those rules will vary from place to place, he said, so it will be important to check websites to keep abreast of what the restrictions are.

Parks have brought in some of their own measures as well to try to keep campers safe while enjoying the outdoors.

"There will be, in different parks, different kinds of services," Wilkinson said.

Kitchen shelters in Banff National Park will be closed and the visitor centre will only be reachable online and by phone. Trails in Pacific Rim National Park on Vancouver Island will only be one-way.

Some parks, such as Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve off the west coast of British Columbia, will be closed.

"There are some parks, at least in the short term, that are not going to be opening."

Guidelines may change over the course of the camping season.

"The focus for Parks Canada is that people can get out, but they do so in ways that are safe and consistent with public health guidelines," said Wilkinson.

Parks Canada learned a lot from last summer, the minister said. The agency has a much better understanding of what can be done safely and how services like cleaning can be handled.

Last year, services and parks were opened slowly as staff figured out how to offer them safely. Now, that knowledge exists at the start of the season.

"It will be a much less gradual process than last year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Meng's device info collection 'necessary': Crown

Meng's device info collection 'necessary': Crown
John Gibb-Carsley told the B.C. Supreme Court Meng's charter rights weren't violated because her devices were seized as part of her arrest and the recording of the serial numbers days later was an extension of that.

Meng's device info collection 'necessary': Crown

Senior official explains handling of Vance affair

Senior official explains handling of Vance affair
In a parliamentary committee hearing today, Sherman says she exchanged emails with "people in the Prime Minister's Office" about an allegation against Vance, though she declined to name them, citing non-disclosure rules around staff who are not public servants.

Senior official explains handling of Vance affair

Fines coming for cross-border cannabis violations

Fines coming for cross-border cannabis violations
The Canada Border Services Agency plans to issue penalties of between $200 and $2,000 to travellers who fail to properly declare cannabis imports, which will be seized.

Fines coming for cross-border cannabis violations

Gun-control group to MPs: Vote against new bill

Gun-control group to MPs: Vote against new bill
In a letter sent out this week, PolySeSouvient says the recently tabled legislation is a Liberal capitulation to the firearms lobby and amounts to throwing in the towel on gun control.

Gun-control group to MPs: Vote against new bill

Opposition urged to speed up election

Opposition urged to speed up election
During debate on the legislation, multiple opposition MPs said there was no need to end debate quickly because there is no imminent need for an election — unless the Liberals are planning on calling one.

Opposition urged to speed up election

Sentencing arguments in triple-murder case

Sentencing arguments in triple-murder case
Dustin Duthie, 27, had earlier pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 2018 deaths of Taylor Toller and Shawn Boshuk and first-degree murder in the death of Alan Pennylegion.

Sentencing arguments in triple-murder case