Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parks Canada adapts to COVID-19 as camping starts

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 May, 2021 05:32 PM
  • Parks Canada adapts to COVID-19 as camping starts

Canada's environment minister has one main bit of advice as the country's second COVID-19 summer is about to begin: Camp carefully.

"We all recognize how important nature and green spaces have been to people's ability to weather this COVID storm," Jonathan Wilkinson said Tuesday. "That being said, we're still not through this pandemic."

Wilkinson said Parks Canada has brought in rules at its national parks that conform to public health orders. Those rules will vary from place to place, he said, so it will be important to check websites to keep abreast of what the restrictions are.

Parks have brought in some of their own measures as well to try to keep campers safe while enjoying the outdoors.

"There will be, in different parks, different kinds of services," Wilkinson said.

Kitchen shelters in Banff National Park will be closed and the visitor centre will only be reachable online and by phone. Trails in Pacific Rim National Park on Vancouver Island will only be one-way.

Some parks, such as Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve off the west coast of British Columbia, will be closed.

"There are some parks, at least in the short term, that are not going to be opening."

Guidelines may change over the course of the camping season.

"The focus for Parks Canada is that people can get out, but they do so in ways that are safe and consistent with public health guidelines," said Wilkinson.

Parks Canada learned a lot from last summer, the minister said. The agency has a much better understanding of what can be done safely and how services like cleaning can be handled.

Last year, services and parks were opened slowly as staff figured out how to offer them safely. Now, that knowledge exists at the start of the season.

"It will be a much less gradual process than last year."

MORE National ARTICLES

'No evidence' Meng's device info was shared: Crown

'No evidence' Meng's device info was shared: Crown
John Gibb-Carsley told the B.C. Supreme Court that the burden of proof is on Meng's legal team to show the numbers were shared, but they can't do it.

'No evidence' Meng's device info was shared: Crown

Questions over delayed vaccine doses for seniors

Questions over delayed vaccine doses for seniors
After supplies slowed to a trickle earlier this year, the National Advisory Committee on Immunization said provinces and territories can delay second doses by as long as four months.

Questions over delayed vaccine doses for seniors

B.C. raises fines for breaking COVID-19 rules

B.C. raises fines for breaking COVID-19 rules
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says it's become clear in the last few months that the risk of paying the ticket isn't enough of a deterrence.

B.C. raises fines for breaking COVID-19 rules

No choice but scramble on COVID-19: AG

No choice but scramble on COVID-19: AG
She also found the government's financial support programs rolled out well, but now extensive efforts will be needed to ensure the money went where it was supposed to.

No choice but scramble on COVID-19: AG

Forces ombud backs predecessor's handling of Vance

Forces ombud backs predecessor's handling of Vance
While Lick says he would not have been able to speak to either, the head of the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service indicated to the committee that Sajjan himself could have referred the matter to his unit.

Forces ombud backs predecessor's handling of Vance

Vancouver Police are looking for help identifying suspect in Art Gallery mischief

Vancouver Police are looking for help identifying suspect in Art Gallery mischief
The person filming is a dark-skinned man and appears to be between 19 and 23 years old. He has a thin build, brown eyes, and black shoulder length curly hair.

Vancouver Police are looking for help identifying suspect in Art Gallery mischief