Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole Board Of Canada Denies Edmonton Hostage Taker Patrick Clayton's Appeal For Release

The Canadian Press, 26 Oct, 2017 11:36 AM
    ABBOTSFORD, B.C. — A man who took nine people hostage at gunpoint in Edmonton has lost a Parole Board of Canada appeal for release from custody.
     
     
    Patrick Clayton is serving an 11-year sentence for hostage-taking, pointing a firearm and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose in relation to a 2009 incident at the Workers' Compensation Board office.
     
     
    Clayton was granted day parole in November 2015 but that was revoked this May after he was found to be deceitful and manipulative, that he breached his curfew and was exhibiting impulsivity and poor decision making.
     
     
    After being returned to prison, the board says Clayton admitted to using prescription and street drugs to mitigate mental health issues and was also engaging in a relationship with a sex worker.
     
     
    Clayton claimed on appeal that he was not previously given an option to attend a treatment centre and also wants job training.
     
     
    But in a decision released to the media Wednesday, the board's appeal division says Clayton had attended two previous substance treatment programs and he continued to use and abuse drugs.
     
     
    The division's documents say it supports the decision to revoke Clayton's parole because his deteriorating behaviour took place "behind the scenes" without the knowledge of his case management team and his problem behaviour continued despite significant interventions.
     
     
    "The Board found that, despite ongoing interventions, you were unable to put into practice the skills to minimize behaviours which in the past had put the community at significant risk," says the Oct. 13 decision.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    PM Trudeau Willing To Improve Small Biz Tax Plan But Won't Abandon In Face Of Backlash

    PM Trudeau Willing To Improve Small Biz Tax Plan But Won't Abandon In Face Of Backlash
    KELOWNA, B.C. — Justin Trudeau kicked off a Liberal caucus retreat Wednesday insisting his government won't back down on a plan to end tax provisions that it maintains give some wealthy small business owners an unfair advantage.

    PM Trudeau Willing To Improve Small Biz Tax Plan But Won't Abandon In Face Of Backlash

    RCMP Say Dump Truck Was Unoccupied When It Rolled Into Traffic, Killing Two At Lougheed Highway

    RCMP Say Dump Truck Was Unoccupied When It Rolled Into Traffic, Killing Two At Lougheed Highway
    Two People Were Killed After A Runaway Construction Dump Truck With No One Behind The Wheel Careened Onto The Lougheed Highway During The Afternoon Rush Hour

    RCMP Say Dump Truck Was Unoccupied When It Rolled Into Traffic, Killing Two At Lougheed Highway

    Darpan Magazine's Extraordinary Achievement Awards: Celebrating South Asian Excellence

    Darpan Magazine's Extraordinary Achievement Awards: Celebrating South Asian Excellence
    It’s that time of the year again! DARPAN is all set to present the most-exciting event of the year in Surrey – Darpan Magazine’s Extraordinary Achievement Awards 2017.

    Darpan Magazine's Extraordinary Achievement Awards: Celebrating South Asian Excellence

    Second-Degree Murder Charges Laid In Fatal Shooting In Langley, B.C.

    Second-Degree Murder Charges Laid In Fatal Shooting In Langley, B.C.
    Brandy Petrie, a 34-year-old Burnaby resident, and 20-year-old Avery Levely-Flescher from Surrey died of their injuries.

    Second-Degree Murder Charges Laid In Fatal Shooting In Langley, B.C.

    Rates To Jump Amid Growing Financial Losses At ICBC

    Rates To Jump Amid Growing Financial Losses At ICBC
    David Eby said the Insurance Corporation of B.C. is in crisis, with financial losses totalling more than $500 million last year.

    Rates To Jump Amid Growing Financial Losses At ICBC

    RCMP Investigate Apparent Kidnapping Of Three People In Northeastern B.C.

    Cpl. Madonna Saunderson says police in Dawson Creek learned of the case on Saturday.

    RCMP Investigate Apparent Kidnapping Of Three People In Northeastern B.C.