Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole Board Of Canada Denies Edmonton Hostage Taker Patrick Clayton's Appeal For Release

The Canadian Press, 26 Oct, 2017 11:36 AM
    ABBOTSFORD, B.C. — A man who took nine people hostage at gunpoint in Edmonton has lost a Parole Board of Canada appeal for release from custody.
     
     
    Patrick Clayton is serving an 11-year sentence for hostage-taking, pointing a firearm and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose in relation to a 2009 incident at the Workers' Compensation Board office.
     
     
    Clayton was granted day parole in November 2015 but that was revoked this May after he was found to be deceitful and manipulative, that he breached his curfew and was exhibiting impulsivity and poor decision making.
     
     
    After being returned to prison, the board says Clayton admitted to using prescription and street drugs to mitigate mental health issues and was also engaging in a relationship with a sex worker.
     
     
    Clayton claimed on appeal that he was not previously given an option to attend a treatment centre and also wants job training.
     
     
    But in a decision released to the media Wednesday, the board's appeal division says Clayton had attended two previous substance treatment programs and he continued to use and abuse drugs.
     
     
    The division's documents say it supports the decision to revoke Clayton's parole because his deteriorating behaviour took place "behind the scenes" without the knowledge of his case management team and his problem behaviour continued despite significant interventions.
     
     
    "The Board found that, despite ongoing interventions, you were unable to put into practice the skills to minimize behaviours which in the past had put the community at significant risk," says the Oct. 13 decision.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Hiker Rescued After Encountering Wall Of Flame From Southeastern B.C. Wildfire

    Hiker Rescued After Encountering Wall Of Flame From Southeastern B.C. Wildfire
    Columbia Valley RCMP Sgt. Bob Vatamaniuk says the man was hiking north of the Columbia Valley when he reported he was met by a wall of flames.

    Hiker Rescued After Encountering Wall Of Flame From Southeastern B.C. Wildfire

    Former President Barack Obama To Speak In Toronto At End Of September

    Former President Barack Obama To Speak In Toronto At End Of September
    OTTAWA — Former United States President Barack Obama is scheduled to speak in Toronto at the end of September.

    Former President Barack Obama To Speak In Toronto At End Of September

    Golfer Recovering After Being Hit By Errant Bullet On Course Near Nanaimo

    Golfer Recovering After Being Hit By Errant Bullet On Course Near Nanaimo
    Nanaimo RCMP say the 60-year-old was golfing at a course in Lantzville, north of Nanaimo last Thursday when he felt a sudden, sharp pain in his leg.

    Golfer Recovering After Being Hit By Errant Bullet On Course Near Nanaimo

    About Half Of Canadian Workers Are Living Paycheque To Paycheque: Survey

    About Half Of Canadian Workers Are Living Paycheque To Paycheque: Survey
    TORONTO — A new survey by the Canadian Payroll Association suggests nearly half of workers are living paycheque to paycheque due to soaring spending and debt levels.

    About Half Of Canadian Workers Are Living Paycheque To Paycheque: Survey

    Six Nova Scotia Teenagers To Be Sentenced In Naked Photo Ring Case

    Six Nova Scotia Teenagers To Be Sentenced In Naked Photo Ring Case
    The boys, who are all from the Bridgewater area, have admitted to forming a private Facebook group where they exchanged photos of the girls, ranging in age from 13 to 17.

    Six Nova Scotia Teenagers To Be Sentenced In Naked Photo Ring Case

    Nova Scotia 'GRABHER' Licence Plate Back In Court With Fresh Arguments

    Nova Scotia 'GRABHER' Licence Plate Back In Court With Fresh Arguments
    Lorne Grabher had his licence plate with the text "GRABHER" — his last name — revoked last year after government officials agreed with a complainant that it was a "socially unacceptable slogan."

    Nova Scotia 'GRABHER' Licence Plate Back In Court With Fresh Arguments